Anyone running tusk brand tires? - Kawasaki ATV Forum
Kawasaki Mule Discussions for the Kawasaki Mule UTV (Kawasaki Mule Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 04-11-2017, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Anyone running tusk brand tires?

I had my mind made up on the tusk terrabites. They are a combonation of a kanati mongrel tread pattern with a pro armor crawler side wall. While I was on Rocky Mountain atvs website I noticed the tusk warthog. They are a similar all terrain style tire like the terrabite but seem to look just slightly more aggressive. Both 8 ply radials. Tread depth is very similar on both. And both are priced damn near the same

Has anybody seen heard or used the warthogs before? There is no info at all on them on the web except for the couple pics below. Can anybody add any insight on them?

Links below of the warthog and the terrabite

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...og-Radial-Tire

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...te-Radial-Tire

These are the only pictures I can find anywhere

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 04-11-2017, 04:55 PM

JMarco, is the rig pictured yours?
post #3 of 29 Old 04-11-2017, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe55 View Post
Man I wish it was. That thing is awesome. Mine is far from that. The paticular tires im looking for are on that mule pictured above. I can't find any info on them other than those pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 04-11-2017, 05:57 PM

I have some Tusk Trilobites on my Rhino and I'm happy with them. They ride smooth and traction is good. I'm running Blackwater EVOs on my Pro FXT. Just make sure whatever you get is 8 ply+. These machines are heavy!
post #5 of 29 Old 04-11-2017, 07:32 PM

The warthog is somewhat of a new tire I believe and very interesting. I'm just curious what the load ratings are for them even though they are 8 ply.
post #6 of 29 Old 04-11-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmarco89 View Post
Quote:
Man I wish it was. That thing is awesome. Mine is far from that. The paticular tires im looking for are on that mule pictured above. I can't find any info on them other than those pictures
That Red really pops!! Very nice they decided to add a few colors this last year.
post #7 of 29 Old 04-11-2017, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muleman78 View Post
The warthog is somewhat of a new tire I believe and very interesting. I'm just curious what the load ratings are for them even though they are 8 ply.
I'm going to call Rocky Mountain atv in the morning and get load ratings and true measured heights of the 29s and 28s. If they run an inch short like the terrabites do I'll go with the 29s.

Really wish I could find some more info on the warthogs though
post #8 of 29 Old 04-12-2017, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

Just called Rocky Mountain. They were no help at all. They don't have the load ratings and don't have a way to get them either. So I asked how are you guys going to sell those tires without knowing load ratings. He said they pretty much sell themselves lmao. The guy was kind of an idiot. I'm going to call back later and talk to someone else

He did say that the warthogs do run true to size. But with the information I just posted above who know if that's even true
post #9 of 29 Old 04-12-2017, 08:17 AM

JMarco, I have stock rims and went with a tire upgrade at time of purchase to a 26" Maxxis Bighorn 2.0. Really went to the wild side on that one eh? This tire stands about 1.5 inches higher than the OEM. The 2.0 is a 6 ply tire, but I have never been able to find a load rating for it. I have checked with various tire suppliers and even the Maxxis site - zippo. I have over 1000 miles on the tires and have not had a problem so far - only one rim hit and that was my fault.
I would be curious to see if there is in fact a credible information source for UTV tire load ratings. I'm thinking an 8 ply tire would handle more than the Mule can.
post #10 of 29 Old 04-12-2017, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
JMarco, I have stock rims and went with a tire upgrade at time of purchase to a 26" Maxxis Bighorn 2.0. Really went to the wild side on that one eh? This tire stands about 1.5 inches higher than the OEM. The 2.0 is a 6 ply tire, but I have never been able to find a load rating for it. I have checked with various tire suppliers and even the Maxxis site - zippo. I have over 1000 miles on the tires and have not had a problem so far - only one rim hit and that was my fault.
I would be curious to see if there is in fact a credible information source for UTV tire load ratings. I'm thinking an 8 ply tire would handle more than the Mule can.
Tire load rating can be a bit overwhelming for some. It's really not that bad though. 8 ply tires normally have a much higher load rating than 6 ply does. The mules dry weight is around 1850. Combine that with a 1000 pound load rating in the bed and fuel and a driver you will be over 3000 pounds total weight. For the guy that doesn't use the bed capacity for much other then a cooler or tools then you'll be just over the 2000 pound mark. I own 1200 acres high fence in south Texas. I've got 8 protein feeders and 10 regular feeders. The smallest feeder I have holds 600 pounds of corn. So I'm constantly using the 1000 pound bed capacity. So I'm normally over that 3000 pound mark

I know long read stick with me though haha

If you have a tire that's rated at 500 pounds that's 2000 pounds combined carrying load for that paticular tire. For me that is way under what I need to safely operate around my property. If you have a tire that's rated for 1000 pounds per corner your at 4000 pounds total carrying capacity. So at 1000 pound load rating I will have about 600-800 pounds to spare after you combine the weight of the mule myself and 1000 pounds of corn or protein. That's a comfortable number I can live with.

So that's my reasoning for needing to know load rating. I absolutely will not buy a tire if I don't know the load rating of it. It takes about 45 minutes driving to get from the front of my property all the way to the back. Last thing I want is to get stuck in the back with a blown tire and 1000 pounds in the bed and have to walk to the house.

Going off my math the lowest tire load rating I will get is 750 pounds per tire. That will put me at 3000 pounds total carrying capacity. Which is okay but I have zero room to spare.

For your everyday guy that just cruzes around load capacity really doesn't matter to much simply because they aren't using the mule to its full potential. Then you have guys like me who are really pushing the capabilities of it.

The best place I have been able to find that displays load ratings is mud throwers, link below. They have a ton of different tires and sizes for each. They display load rating tread depth 8 or 6 ply and much more. Their pricing is just okay but not way high like most are. They don't have any load rating on the bighorn 2.0 though. A phone call to maxxis could probably get you those numbers

And again sorry for the long read. I hope it made sense and now everyone knows why tire load rating are pretty important

Link to mudthrowers website Mud-Throwers

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Mule

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode