Hard start solution - Kawasaki ATV Forum
Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou Kawasaki's strong and reliable utility ATVs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 06-20-2019, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Hard start solution

I’ve had my brute force 650i about a year and always noticed it being hard to start after sitting a week. I’ve seen suggestions of adding an electric fuel pump which I may still do but for now I went low tech and put one of those primer pumps that are normally used on boats on the fuel line feeding the carbs. I just reach down and squeeze it a few times until I feel pressure and it fires right up. It may not be the best solution but it’s cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-21-2019, 12:58 AM

I bought a 2011 Brute from my friend and that thing is so aggravating to start. I wonder if your fix could help my issue? Can you give me more specifics please?

'04 P700
Custom Stainless Skids
Penlock
Bighorn radials
Custom cargo basket up front
post #3 of 5 Old 06-21-2019, 05:19 AM Thread Starter

On mine I had to remove the right side and rear body plastics, remove the electronics from the tray (carefully noting where everything goes) and remove the plastic electronics tray just to get to the fuel pump. Then I located the fuel line from the pump to the carbs, cut it, removed a few inches (enough for the primer) and instal the primer in line with the arrow pointing at the carb. Make sure it’s in a place where you can get your hand on it when the plastics are back on. I actually replaced the fuel line with clear fuel line so I know when I’ve got fuel. Then put everything back together. I ordered the pump from amazon but I imagine any boat shop is going to have them just make sure it’s made for the size fuel line on yours, I believe mine is 3/8.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg CB0EDA75-98FA-4E09-AEE3-0653128AFE1C_1561119561765.jpeg (2.64 MB, 3 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-21-2019, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

On second thought you should be able to get this done by only removing the right side plastic body panel. I removed the rest to replace the line from the fuel pickup to the pump input. It looked old and cracked.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-26-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBIWAN View Post
I’ve had my brute force 650i about a year and always noticed it being hard to start after sitting a week. I’ve seen suggestions of adding an electric fuel pump which I may still do but for now I went low tech and put one of those primer pumps that are normally used on boats on the fuel line feeding the carbs. I just reach down and squeeze it a few times until I feel pressure and it fires right up. It may not be the best solution but it’s cheap.
Hello,

I am not sure if the 650 is a lot like the 750, but I would adjust the valves to spec and sure that the idle circuit is not adjusted much too high.

I just solved an ongoing hard start problem with mine. Adjusting the valves helped, but didn't solve it. I rejetted the carb, and it ran great but still was hard to start

The last trip out, it would not start at all to back it off of the truck. I adjusted the valves (the intake was super tight), it started. After getting it running, I adjusted the idle as far down as it would go and run. After that, it has been starting easier. The previous owner had the idle jacked up (probably from the carb needed adjusted from the ignition pipe etc).. Having the throttle blades open too far can lower the effective vacuum on the fuel pump, thus causing the lack of fuel in the carb bowls. If I would squirt some gas down the carbs, it would start right away.

Good luck.

Last edited by bremen242; 06-26-2019 at 04:52 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode