Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou Kawasaki's strong and reliable utility ATVs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Unread 07-10-2019, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Garage
2006 BF 650 overheating....

*****Update Below*****

ok folks,

i need some help here.... i have an 06 BF650 4x4 that keeps overheating... i have checked the lines & radiator after a good cleaning, and they are not the cause... today i warmed it and found that the leak is from back flowing from the overflow tube.

now the quad hasnt been really maintained in the past 5 yrs, and i am fairly new to this world...

i did notice that the cooling fan is not kicking on, at all, so can someone advise me on where to go from here plz.

thanks,

Goody

Update

when i cleaned the BF yesterday, i sprayed it down kinda heavily clearing the dirt & debris away from the front end so i could see what i was working on... and then let it warm back up to check for the source of the antifreeze... thats when i found the over flow tube back flowing and decided to let it cool off and tackle it again this morning....

So today when i went back to trying to figure this out.. (and before tearing anything down other than plastics) everything started working on its own again... Fan was kicking on, fluids all good, not overheating or anything after running around the property moderately for 30 min....

the only thing i can figure is that there was just alot of dirt & debris blocking connectivity for the fan to kick in.... Does that make any sense? any advise or tips would be greatly appreciated..

Last edited by Goody720a; 07-11-2019 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Advise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Unread 07-10-2019, 05:28 PM
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Is it a solid rear axle ( sra ) or is it an independent rear suspension ( irs ).
On the irs, there are two wires that attach to the fan thermostat in the upper right corner of the radiator - you can disconnect those two wires, tie them together, and that will provide power to the rad fan, to see if it comes on. If the radiator is not full of coolant, more than likely the thermostat in the upper left corner of the rad wont turn on the fan because it cannot get hot enough. I'd start here first.

05 Brute 750i Stock engine/ Muzzy Pro exhaust,Dynatec cdi,Vision Bruiser 14" wheels, 26" Bear Claw HTR Tires,3" intake snorkle - restricted,2" CVT snorkles,10" electric fan with custom mount,Mr Gasket Fuel Pump ,rejetted at #42 pilots, 3 out on A/F screws,stock needles shimmed .030",# 168/# 168 main Jets

Last edited by dman66; Today at 05:11 AM.
post #3 of 8 Unread 07-11-2019, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I believe that it is a SRA, the BF belongs to my girlfriend, and i am trying to get it up & running for her, as so we can go trail riding/get muddy... lol

as i said this is an entire new world for me...

im trying to make sense of the book i just ordered for it, and it reads like very bad stereo schematics....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Unread 07-11-2019, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Please see update...
post #5 of 8 Unread 07-11-2019, 11:45 AM

The only thing i can figure is that there was just alot of dirt & debris blocking connectivity for the fan to kick in.... Does that make any sense? any advise or tips would be greatly appreciated..

YES - That makes total sense. When the coolant or rad overheats, there is expansion - it has to go somewhere - to the over flow tube and tank.
You may also want to check all electrical grounds and all electrical connectors, to make sure they are in good shape and not corroded.

05 Brute 750i Stock engine/ Muzzy Pro exhaust,Dynatec cdi,Vision Bruiser 14" wheels, 26" Bear Claw HTR Tires,3" intake snorkle - restricted,2" CVT snorkles,10" electric fan with custom mount,Mr Gasket Fuel Pump ,rejetted at #42 pilots, 3 out on A/F screws,stock needles shimmed .030",# 168/# 168 main Jets
post #6 of 8 Unread 07-11-2019, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you very much for the advise & help....

Is there anything else i should be aware of with this 650? its an '06, 4x4, carb's
post #7 of 8 Unread 07-11-2019, 04:27 PM

Check the engine oil & front diff oil frequently, adjust the intake and exhaust valves

post #8 of 8 Unread Yesterday, 08:10 PM

Not sure with the 650s, but the fan on my BF 750 seem to cut off from time to time. Under the seat, there is a circuit breaker that was getting corroded. I replaced it, along with the entire fuse block with inline fuses (and heat shrink connectors). Everything works great now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in