Battery suggestion and batt blanket - Kawasaki ATV Forum
Kawasaki KFX700 V-Force Kawasaki's big-bore, V-twin sport machine!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 10-31-2018, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Battery suggestion and batt blanket

Batt just went out on my 700 Griz and at this point I'm not familiar enough with batt brands to get what I'm after. Any suggestion for a specific batt or batt brand that's decent but not high priced?

Also, couple years ago I remember seeing a warmer blanket or pad made for small 4 wheeler sized batts, but I lost track of who was selling it. Anyone know where I could find something like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-02-2018, 04:33 PM

Yuasa makes very good batteries and they are OEM in many machines. I have a 08 Honda TRX700XX, a 07 KFX700, and a 07 TRX250EX and all had the oem Yuasa battery. They finally failed back in 2015, within 3 months of each other (dammit!). But 7 and 8 years out of a battery? I think that is pretty good. I will add that I did not go back with oem. I chose to install Deltran lithium batteries instead. They claim 5 times longer life then regular lead/acid type batteries. I seriously have my doubts about this claim. I decided to take a risk and buy one for my TRX. When it arrived, I was blown away at how much smaller and lighter it was. The oem battery weighed about 11 pounds, the Deltran weighed about 1 pound! Now I did not use a fancy scale, so these numbers are most likely not 100% accurate. They do cost more, in my case, about $30 more than oem. They also do not fit like oem, but it IS easy to get a custom fit with the included adhesive foam blocks. The downside is that they do recommend a charger specifically designed for lithium batteries, so that is an additional expense to consider. Since I was so impressed with my first purchase, I bought 2 more for the other quads mentioned. I replaced the 1st one in June, the 2nd in July, and the 3rd in October of 2015. A little over 3 years now, and I have had no issues with them. I do keep them on a maintainer and they start the machines very easily.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-03-2018, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice.

I've been told elsewhere to leave a trickle charger like a batt tender on all winter but I've also heard not to charge a batt when it's below freezing. Is it ok to leave a batt tender on when it's under 32?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-03-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyheathhays View Post
Thanks for the advice.

I've been told elsewhere to leave a trickle charger like a batt tender on all winter but I've also heard not to charge a batt when it's below freezing. Is it ok to leave a batt tender on when it's under 32?
Tenders, smart chargers and maintainers are different then trickle chargers. They shut off or stop charging when the battery is fully charged where a trickle charger doesn't. Use the Tender...all the time the machine isn't is use. Especially in the cold. Cold reduces battery voltage and can cause them to freeze if cold enough..long enough and that's the end of a battery. A tender or smart charger will sense that lower voltage and turn on, keeping the voltage up and the battery active..and impossible to freeze.

06 BF 750(SOLD)

15 Z Force 800 EPS

My Videos on YouTube
post #5 of 5 Old 11-04-2018, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. Good to know i can just leave it hooked up.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki KFX700 V-Force

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode