Pre-oiling a machine that hasn't been started in a year - Kawasaki ATV Forum
Kawasaki KFX700 V-Force Kawasaki's big-bore, V-twin sport machine!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 11-07-2018, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Pre-oiling a machine that hasn't been started in a year

Have an '11 Griz 700 that hasn't been started in a year due to a dead batt. I'm about to put a new one in and crank her up.

Should I do anything to the engine to prep it for running after sitting for so long? I'm thinking in terms of pre-oiling parts that the oil would have long fallen away from. Would it be a stupid idea to use a turkey baster and put some engine oil into the spark plug hole? Crank it a couple times, replace the plug and then try to start it?

I'm afraid of rubbing metal parts together during the start before the oil pump gets everything lubed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-07-2018, 06:26 AM

Aside from pulling the oil pressure sending unit and pressuring-up the system from there with a remote pump and shooting a little WD or a few drops of oil directed to the cylinder wall, there nothing else you can do....other then maybe with the plug out spin it enough for the oil pump to refill everything before putting a load on it. Yamahas are pretty tough and there will be some oil at the bottom of all the bearings so I'm not sure I would worry about it ..much.

06 BF 750(SOLD)

15 Z Force 800 EPS

My Videos on YouTube
post #3 of 4 Old 11-09-2018, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I'm not sure how the oil circ system works so i'll have to ask.. what kind of remote pump would that be? oil, air?

Also, I put high octane non-ethanol gas in a year ago. Should it still be good or do I need to drain and clean the fuel system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-09-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyheathhays View Post
Thanks. I'm not sure how the oil circ system works so i'll have to ask.. what kind of remote pump would that be? oil, air?

Also, I put high octane non-ethanol gas in a year ago. Should it still be good or do I need to drain and clean the fuel system?
Year-old, non leaded gas is all bad. Gas these days is only good for a couple of months. Better drain it. On the oil, you don't you pull the spark plug and one valve cover, shoot some oil in the cylinder and crank it until you see oil flowing...anywhere inside the valve cover. Then put it all back to together.

06 BF 750(SOLD)

15 Z Force 800 EPS

My Videos on YouTube

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki KFX700 V-Force

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode