Starting the engine first time in a year - Kawasaki ATV Forum
Kawasaki KFX700 V-Force Kawasaki's big-bore, V-twin sport machine!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 02-06-2019, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Starting the engine first time in a year

'11 Grizz 700 here. Since I've got some warm weather these next couple days I've decided to start the bike after about a year of just sitting. Took out the plug and sprayed a good amount of fogging oil on top of the piston to help lubricate things. After about a minute of letting it soak I stuck my air line tubing in to suck out the excess, but it seems like I didn't get nearly as much in return. Repositioned the tube enough so that everything that was gonna come out pretty much did. I'll probably shoot some compressed air down the plug hole before doing the start just to make sure it's all out, as well as cranking it for a second before putting the plug back in.

How long would it take for a bit of standing fogging oil to seep past the piston rings, and where would it go? I guess into the engine oil? The oil was fairly new the last time it was started but I'm sure it could stand to be changed after sitting for so long. If much of this fogging oil got into the engine oil should I do the change before the startup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-06-2019, 08:52 AM

this question seems familiar lol
post #3 of 4 Old 02-06-2019, 12:18 PM
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Garage
Just roll it over by hand to spread the oil.
If you think you put in too much oil, turn it over with the electric start with the plug removed to blow the excess out.
Change the oil after driving it a little.

2002 698 Prairie
VFJ 11.5:1 coated pistons
FST Stage II Cams
Fundy Performance Porting, 1mm milled off heads
Kibblewhite valves
Crossover intakes
Modded airbox
Full Muzzy
Custom machined stock weights
VFJ Springs
DynaTek CDI
Other weird stuff

2011 Stratos 186XT Bass Boat
Mercury Optimax 115hp
Minn Kota 70lb 24v trolling motor
Lowrance HDS 10 Electronics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 02-07-2019, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. Still haven't figured out how to turn this engine by hand yet. It started right up and smoked for a long time, but everything sounded fine on it. Definitely won't be letting this happen again.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki KFX700 V-Force

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode