FXT Oil filter access port - But BIGGER - Kawasaki ATV Forum
Kawasaki Mule Discussions for the Kawasaki Mule UTV (Kawasaki Mule Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 07-22-2018, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Garage
FXT Oil filter access port - But BIGGER

The Kawasaki tech note describes a 3" port to access the oil filter, but having a hole that size means you need really tiny fingers to replace the filter.

I decided to install a larger screw fit marine port (hole is 6" but the actual port is 8".
The round access port costs $10 CAN.

A summary of the steps:

Remove the rear seat, loosen the left side panel (next to the rear seat), remove the battery box cover.
Unscrew two pan head screws on the front of the large plastic panel, remove any plastic rivets and finally remove the large plastic panel below the rear seat. Peel the sound deadening material off of the panel, keep it for later.

Image 1 - the panel after the hole is cut - the cutter that I used is a Milwaukee drywall bit, it does cut plastic, be gentle The bit costs about $38 CAN.

Image 2 - after cutting the hole, reinstall the sound deadening material. Keep the circular piece that you cut out, you will use it later - see image 3.

The large panel has curves, the panel is certainly not flat, so gentle use of a heat gun will help flatten the panel. I added extra aluminium rivets to hold the panel flat to the port.

Image 4 - The port installed in the panel.

Reassemble the panel and rear seat.

Image 5 - there is plenty of space to work on the filter. (picture from floor level).

Image 6 - The aluminium panel is a heat shield, I did not need to cut it, I suggest you don't, things get hot in there.

So now I can get to the oil filter in less than a minute. Total cost was $48 CAN and about three hours of messing around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_01.JPG (60.0 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_02.JPG (67.0 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_03.JPG (136.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_04.JPG (109.8 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_05.JPG (81.3 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_06.JPG (61.6 KB, 51 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-30-2018, 05:35 PM

Garage
I have no issues accessing the oil filter after raising the bed. My arm fits between the panel and the engine easy enough to take the old filter off and slip on the new one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
post #3 of 5 Old 07-30-2018, 08:50 PM

Bigger access hole for Oil Filter

What is the brand name of the Marine Port you used? I have looked but with no success in finding one this size.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-30-2018, 08:55 PM

I am a big ole boy and my arm doesn't fit too well in that area. I am willing to spend some cash to make it easier for me to get to.. Thanks for your post.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-31-2018, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The company is Victory Products (here is the inspection ports page), the exact item that I used is this.

I paid $10 CAN at the Chandlery in Ottawa, it seems that they don't list it online. I bought my one in their store.

Last edited by Baloo; 07-31-2018 at 01:40 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Mule

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode