running hot - Kawasaki ATV Forum
Kawasaki Mule Discussions for the Kawasaki Mule UTV (Kawasaki Mule Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 08-15-2018, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

running hot

hey team, newbie here...
2015 mule pro fxt
run hot took to dealer, said it was fan relay switch [reset] and burped cooling system.
run hot again, I'm trying to find info on how to reset switch or replace it. any info would greatly be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 08-15-2018, 11:52 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forum.

Open the hood then remove the electrical access panel. The fan breaker is on the bottom right of the electrical compartment (when standing in front of the mule).

From the owners manual:

The breaker for the radiator fan is located under the front access cover. If the fan does not function, inspect the breaker. In order to reset the breaker, push the reset button at the side of the breaker case. Before resetting, however, check that the radiator fan is free from mud or other obstacle as well as the wiring harness and electrical equipment for bare wires or other possible causes for the tripped breaker.

A. Breaker
B. Reset Button
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FinderScreenSnapz001.jpg (54.3 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by Baloo; 08-15-2018 at 12:14 PM. Reason: added image
post #3 of 22 Old 08-15-2018, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

good deal, I will try when I get home. thank you so much.

great forum here, looking forward to being a part of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 08-20-2018, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Baloo, thanks for info yes I had to reset fan relay switch. did good for couple small rides but tripped again at the end of about a hour ride. was wondering anybody else ever have problem with a switch go or start going bad.
post #5 of 22 Old 08-22-2018, 05:02 PM
Premium Member
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

The fan motor could be bad and drawing too much current causing the relay to trip. The relay could also be weak.

2004 Green KFX 700, Boss Nos(30 shot), FST 803, stage 3 cams, AMR ported heads, 36mm carbs, My +7" cut and weld swinger, My 6 pack rack grab bar, My Manta dash, Stadium shocks front and rear, LTE exhaust, Razer 2 tires, IMS front bumper. My radiator guard. My 14mm stainless steel tie rods. ODI grips, Honda throttle, My stainless steel pegs, My billit stator cover.
www.atvtrickstuff.com
post #6 of 22 Old 08-23-2018, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Mmmmm, good question on fan motor, will check it out. going to replace relay and see what happens. also don't know if its ok to post but I will be taking off factory top end of sept if anyone interested ?
post #7 of 22 Old 08-25-2018, 09:22 AM

Do you mean do away with the governer.
post #8 of 22 Old 08-25-2018, 10:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhog2546 View Post
Do you mean do away with the governer.
I think he is talking about the roof.taking it off at the end of sept

2018 MULE PRO FXR
High lifter,lift kit
Tusk Warthog 29x11x14
STI HD6 Alloy Radiant Red
Air intake snorkeled
Clutch snorkeled
Volt meter/USB charge ports
Temp gauge
oil pressure gauge
Back up lights
Spare tire mount(Home made)
EPI clutch kit
Fan override switch
Gates Carbon 42C4266-belt
Kobalt tool box=Lows #67697
Factory UTV A-Arm Guards
post #9 of 22 Old 08-27-2018, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

hate to keep kicking a dead horse,
I called local kawa dealer to get the relay for fan, they couldn't find a part number for me to order one, mechanic got on phone with me and told me to just put a 20 amp fuse in place of the relay. what's going on with relay and fuse is the fan cycles on/off no problems for the first 30 minutes of riding and then it starts blowing fuse/fuses [tripping relay] almost immediately, anybody heard of this problem yet ? any help that can point me in right direction would greatly be appreciated.
post #10 of 22 Old 08-27-2018, 09:33 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia boy View Post
hate to keep kicking a dead horse,
I called local kawa dealer to get the relay for fan, they couldn't find a part number for me to order one, mechanic got on phone with me and told me to just put a 20 amp fuse in place of the relay. what's going on with relay and fuse is the fan cycles on/off no problems for the first 30 minutes of riding and then it starts blowing fuse/fuses [tripping relay] almost immediately, anybody heard of this problem yet ? any help that can point me in right direction would greatly be appreciated.
Being kind to the mechanic, if he means temporarily change to a fuse, that might make sense.
But..... I think it is more likely that mechanic is an idiot, in fact a lazy idiot (he/she can't be bothered to look up the part number).

If the relay (is working properly and it) trips at 20A you can reset it. If you use a fuse, you will need to replace the fuse. We both know which method is faster !

The fan system as designed by Kawasaki works (for 99.9% of folks).

I believe the part number is 21008-0554 BREAKER,RAD. FAN,20A

Please check with Kawasaki, I am not a dealer.

As mentioned previously, this could be a faulty breaker, or a faulty fan motor that goes over current when it gets hot.

Has anyone tested the current draw on the fan when it is running?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Mule

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode