How many amps will 12V accessory socket handle? - Kawasaki ATV Forum
Kawasaki Mule Discussions for the Kawasaki Mule UTV (Kawasaki Mule Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 06-02-2019, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

How many amps will 12V accessory socket handle?

I purchased a water sprayer from Northern Tool. It comes with jumper cable style clamps for battery. I wanted to convert them to a cigarette-style plug for the 12V accessory socket on the dash of the Mule. Salesman at Northern Tool told me accessory socket wires won't handle amperage of electric pump motor. I looked at owner's manual for water sprayer and it states 8 amp maximum draw. Does anyone know how many amps the Kawasaki dash 12V socket can handle and is it a fused circuit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-02-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETDOC View Post
I purchased a water sprayer from Northern Tool. It comes with jumper cable style clamps for battery. I wanted to convert them to a cigarette-style plug for the 12V accessory socket on the dash of the Mule. Salesman at Northern Tool told me accessory socket wires won't handle amperage of electric pump motor. I looked at owner's manual for water sprayer and it states 8 amp maximum draw. Does anyone know how many amps the Kawasaki dash 12V socket can handle and is it a fused circuit?
10 amps max. Both my Brute force and my ZForce have their accessory plugs on a 10 amp fuse...and someone told me some time back.

It's probably going to get a little warm running 8 amps contently so I might be tempted to go another rout....maybe something simple like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-Gauge...%2C183&sr=8-16

06 BF 750(SOLD)

15 Z Force 800 EPS

My Videos on YouTube
post #3 of 16 Old 06-03-2019, 12:07 PM

What NWKAWIERIDER said! It has a 10 amp fuse. Wire in one of the connectors using the link he provided above. I have one attached to my battery and I also use it to plug in my Battery Tender float charger. We also have one on dad's machine and besides a trickle charger he also uses it for a sprayer. Not sure of the amps without looking but it works great and has never blown a fuse. We routed his to the rear rack so it's super quick and easy to swap out since we don't leave the sprayer on.

2005 Brute Force 750i
-Muzzy Super Pro Duals
-Dynatek CDI
-Dynatek Coil Kit
-Uni air cleaner
-Warn 2500 w/synthetic rope
-Gorilla axle
-Maxxis Big Horns
-ITP aluminum wheels

2007 Grizzly 700SE
2003 Bayou 250
1994 XR650L
1984 Yamaha Tri Zinger 60
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 06-03-2019, 01:03 PM

Yeah I think that one with the 10AWG wire is good for about 20+ amps...and they do make them with fuse holders inline so..play it safe.

I use a lot of these for all my Battery tenders, solar on the camper and other accessories.

https://www.amazon.com/Tetra-Teknica...%2C198&sr=8-18

06 BF 750(SOLD)

15 Z Force 800 EPS

My Videos on YouTube

Last edited by NMKAWIERIDER; 06-03-2019 at 01:09 PM.
post #5 of 16 Old 06-04-2019, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Is 12AWG adequate for the amperage the pressure washer would draw (sprayer manual states max. of 8 amps)? My plan is to connect an SAE socket sidewall port (e.g., https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...AA08BU92&psc=1) to the battery and mount the circular plate on flat surface behind the battery/air filter cover. Not sure if to attach 10 amp fuse case on wire from battery or wire coming from sprayer.
post #6 of 16 Old 06-04-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Is 12AWG adequate for the amperage the pressure washer would draw (sprayer manual states max. of 8 amps)? My plan is to connect an SAE socket sidewall port (e.g., https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...AA08BU92&psc=1) to the battery and mount the circular plate on flat surface behind the battery/air filter cover. Not sure if to attach 10 amp fuse case on wire from battery or wire coming from sprayer.
Just looked at the link you sent and it says this in the description: "Cable max. rating: 10 Amp" So yes, it will support the 10 amps needed.

2005 Brute Force 750i
-Muzzy Super Pro Duals
-Dynatek CDI
-Dynatek Coil Kit
-Uni air cleaner
-Warn 2500 w/synthetic rope
-Gorilla axle
-Maxxis Big Horns
-ITP aluminum wheels

2007 Grizzly 700SE
2003 Bayou 250
1994 XR650L
1984 Yamaha Tri Zinger 60
post #7 of 16 Old 06-04-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
As long as it has a fuse between the battery and the load...but might consider weather it will get wet or be in harm's way.

06 BF 750(SOLD)

15 Z Force 800 EPS

My Videos on YouTube
post #8 of 16 Old 06-04-2019, 08:50 PM

I donít know how many amps the sprayer pulls but I run a 15 gal sprayer & a 25 gal sprayer out of my profxt with the cigarette lighter adapter. I havenít had any problems. Iím not sure if it is because spraying is intermittent turning on & off so perhaps it doesnít get hot. But Iíve had no problems. Good lick
post #9 of 16 Old 06-09-2019, 09:08 AM

Mount the fuse/fuse holder close to the battery. For car audio the rule was 18Ē or less for the main or single fuse.
post #10 of 16 Unread 06-12-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazdaparts View Post
Mount the fuse/fuse holder close to the battery. For car audio the rule was 18Ē or less for the main or single fuse.
Just so it is clear, the idea behind getting close to the battery is that any wire between fuse and battery is NOT fused. If that section of wire gets scraped through the insulation by a metal body part, then its direct short to ground from Positive battery post.

As for the entire project, I would run 10 gauge wire. I would not use a 12 volt cig-style accessory socket. The contact points of that connector type are too poor for an 8 amp load.
10 gauge wire, fused as close to battery terminal as possible, with SAE connection should work great.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Mule

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in