Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, new to this forum. I am at my wits end on my ‘12 Mule XC 610. It is stalling after running for a short period of time at full throttle and nearly dies. I can save it with pulling the choke so it’s lean.
I have replaced the fuel pump, coil, cleaned and checked the carb many times, and adjusted the valves. I have also unplugged the vapor hose with the one-way valve and loosened the cap fro searches on the interweb.
My next course of action is to take it to the dealer but they will want to redo everything I’ve already done I’m sure. Is there something I am missing here? I’ve read quite a bit about these doing this but cannot find a smoking gun. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
Kawasaki Mule 550, KAF-300-C5
169 Posts
If you can get some WD40 or something similar in a hand spray pump/trigger bottle, with the engine running, saturate the area around where the carb bolts to the engine, this will check for intake leaks caused by a failed gasket which will make it run lean.
if the engine blows smoke or the RPM's drop when you spray around it, you've found your problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you can get some WD40 or something similar in a hand spray pump/trigger bottle, with the engine running, saturate the area around where the carb bolts to the engine, this will check for intake leaks caused by a failed gasket which will make it run lean.
if the engine blows smoke or the RPM's drop when you spray around it, you've found your problem.
thanks for the reply. It runs good for awhile and then does, if a bad gasket I would assume a lean condition all the time. The gaskets are new.

·
Registered
169 Posts
about how many minutes does it run good?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Check oil level, if that is ok, pull the pulse line off fuel pump and crank it over, see it any liquid comes out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check oil level, if that is ok, pull the pulse line off fuel pump and crank it over, see it any liquid comes out.
I’ll check that out. When I changed the pump I didn’t notice anything in it. Oil is fresh and is in the range on the stick

·
Registered
36 Posts
I’ve heard of engines getting vapor locked if a fuel line is close to something hot, once it warms the fuel it vapor locks the lines and can’t get fuel. Also, could be something electrical once it gets hot the circuit opens up and causes an issue.
Sounds like you’ll need to diagnose fuel and spark when it happens. See which one is missing or weak when it’s hot.

·
Registered
169 Posts
it's even odder because the 610's usually have fouling problems/running too rich

·
Registered
12 Posts
The new fuel pump has probably failed alteady. The pulse pumps failed me three times, I went to a low-pressure electric and it marches on! Also make sure your fuel tank hasn't built up rust that is plugging the outlet of the tank.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The new fuel pump has probably failed alteady. The pulse pumps failed me three times, I went to a low-pressure electric and it marches on! Also make sure your fuel tank hasn't built up rust that is plugging the outlet of the tank.
This is timely, I just changed carbs last night and drained the tank. No rust present. What did you use for an electric set up? I was wondering if you could do that.
Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
You can get the Mr. Gasket $50ish one for carbs at oriellys or autozone. Make sure it’s the one for gas carburetor and not diesel or fuel injection, they carry a few. I had to do this a couple times on my 2004 mule 3010.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is timely, I just changed carbs last night and drained the tank. No rust present. What did you use for an electric set up? I was wondering if you could do that.
Thanks
Bought a $12 ebay special. Low pressure. Connected to key-ON power. Would add a roll-over switch if I could find one decent price and not real sensitive. Most I've found would drop out on a rough road.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts