Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a 02 (mule 3010 gas) , that usually runs everyday on a farm. it ran fine and then up and wouldn't start, not turning over, the only noise is a clicking. which is a solenoid under the seat that seems to click. took out starter and bench tested it, seemed to work fine. put everything back together and it ran. turned off tried again and it just clicked again. also wont run when jumped or messed with the battery connections, any ideas I would appreciate it , Thanks!

:confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would say replace the solenoid, they are $30 or so on eBay and easy to install, but I had the same problem on my Mule 550 gas and a new solenoid did not fix the problem. I posted a similar question yesterday, but have not received any replies. You can read my posted question to see if it gives you any additional troubleshooting ideas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
can you jump the starter from bat to switch post? if so you are not getting proper voltage to the switch post. I wired a magnetic relay in to the switch post on mine and it works every time now. I replaced solenoid, battery, cleaned all wire terminals only worked when battery was fully charged until I added the relay.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
I have a 02 (mule 3010 gas) , that usually runs everyday on a farm. it ran fine and then up and wouldn't start, not turning over, the only noise is a clicking. which is a solenoid under the seat that seems to click. took out starter and bench tested it, seemed to work fine. put everything back together and it ran. turned off tried again and it just clicked again. also wont run when jumped or messed with the battery connections, any ideas I would appreciate it , Thanks!

:confused:
Had the same problem with my 02 550 mule. Just a click but couldn't get the engine to turn over. Sometimes it would start cold and after riding a while, if you shut it off.....click, click, click. Sometimes it wouldn't start cold but if you waited a while, it would start. Weirdest of all.....sometimes if you held the key in start position, after about 4 seconds it would start. I read in a "help" forum that the fuse holder and wire should be replaced with a heavier model. I noticed a few times that the fuse holder was very warm but I don't believe Kawasaki would have made such a mistake. 5 days ago, after having to tow the mule to my shop, I decided that I was going to find that problem. I started checking power at the battery and moved toward the switch. I found that I had no power at the fuse holder. When I hand traced the wire from the battery to the fuse holder, I discovered a push/pull connector inline before you get to the fuse holder. I cut the rubber boot off the connector and found the connector was broken. It looked like it had been that way for a while and sometimes it made a connection and some times it didn't. That would explain the heat buildup (warm fuse holder). ANYHOW.....5 days later its starting everytime.

Hope this helps and good luck.
H.K. Callihan, Bladenboro, N.C.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Starting issues

I would look at your starter again. I had a 3010m that acted that way. I pulled the starter off and it also seemed to work OK. Put it back on and just like you described, sometimes it would work. I pulled it back off and took it apart and cleaned it and it worked great again. Good luck.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I would look at your starter again. I had a 3010m that acted that way. I pulled the starter off and it also seemed to work OK. Put it back on and just like you described, sometimes it would work. I pulled it back off and took it apart and cleaned it and it worked great again. Good luck.

A defective Bendix or Starter Clutch as it is sometimes called could cause these systems. When you turn the key, the solenoid could energize and the starter motor could try to turn but if the Bendix is frozen it will not start . . .click-click-click! Can you access the Bendix and ensure that it is greased up and moves freely?

·
Registered
3 Posts
This just happened on my 2015 Pro FXT...out in the middle of the woods of course. Shut it off, had a beverage, went to start it, click click click. Had to get towed back. By a POLARIS....Let it sit all night. Went out to diagnose the next day and it fired right up. Starts every time so far. BUT, I know my luck, so I need to try and figure out what caused the problem. Nothing worse than having that "fear" every time you shut it off. I will start with all the terminals and connections. I will post my findings...if any!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
This just happened on my 2015 Pro FXT...out in the middle of the woods of course. Shut it off, had a beverage, went to start it, click click click. Had to get towed back. By a POLARIS....Let it sit all night. Went out to diagnose the next day and it fired right up. Starts every time so far. BUT, I know my luck, so I need to try and figure out what caused the problem. Nothing worse than having that "fear" every time you shut it off. I will start with all the terminals and connections. I will post my findings...if any!!
This just happened with my 2017 PRO FXT. Just put a new battery in it and it ran fine for a few hours with me shutting it off and back on a few times then all of a sudden it was idling and just shut off and would start back up and just clicked. it would jump off and made it back to the trailer and got it home and the next morning it started right back up a few times then again after a short ride the same thing happened. Did you ever determine what was going on?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just now registered with this forum so I could give my two cents about what I just dealt with and what could be the problem for whoever reads this.

I have had this exact issue with side by sides, tractors, trackhoes, you name it. It almost always turns out to be a dirty connection either at the battery or starter, or somewhere between. Because my connections looked clean, I ignored looking for the obvious with my Mule 3010 and instead ordered a new relay and then a starter, and then a battery when those didn't work. It would still only click, so I finally took my connections loose at the battery(which were in terrible shape) and at the starter(they were clean). Put it back together and the starter spun! But I couldn't hear my fuel pump clicking... Took the fuel pump off and bench tested and it worked. Made up new connections for the fuel pump and it started clicking. I blew pressure into my tank to prime the fuel filter, turned the key, and she fired right up!!!

My advice, look at the basics before pulling your hair out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts