Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 02 Prairie 650 has a great feel and sound when blipping the throttle but once I get to 1/4 it feels and sounds like one cylinder drops out. I've changed the spark plugs and checked that both wires have spark on them. Also have been all through the carb and cleaned and soaked and replaced parts. No rips or tears in the carb boots or anything.

·
Super Moderator
5,439 Posts
I'll have to check it under load tomorrow but revving in idle it stays at 13 volts.
How do you rev and idle at the same time? Regardless it should idle with 13.5 or better and go up to at much as 14.7 by 3,500. 14.4 is acceptable. Otherwise...there's a problem. Might also check the fuel pressure and volume.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How do you rev and idle at the same time? Regardless it should idle with 13.5 or better and go up to at much as 14.7 by 3,500. 14.4 is acceptable. Otherwise...there's a problem. Might also check the fuel pressure and volume.
Sorry meant to say revving in neutral with no load. I took the fuel line off and it doesn't spray out. I'm going to open the tank and check the filters.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Check the little filters in the petcock. I had similar problems. At first, I could hit the choke when revving, and it would clear a little, but eventually I swapped the petcock out and it was back to it's old self again.
Was pretty cheap to swap the whole thing, something like $12 on Amazon for an identical one.

Hope you find it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Check the little filters in the petcock. I had similar problems. At first, I could hit the choke when revving, and it would clear a little, but eventually I swapped the petcock out and it was back to it's old self again.
Was pretty cheap to swap the whole thing, something like $12 on Amazon for an identical one.

Hope you find it.
I bypassed it and replaced the fuel filter and the it's still there. What are the odds my jets are too big in the mains? I have a 1.5in snorkel with 135 and 140 jets

·
Registered
310 Posts
It doesn't sound like flooding, more like starvation, but it's possible.

I don't know what the standard size is, but do you think they are they so big that they are flooding out the ignition when you open up the throttle?

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Probably the samll size intake snorkel - Remove the snorkel and see waht it does.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Probably the samll size intake snorkel - Remove the snorkel and see waht it does.
Removed it and still
It doesn't sound like flooding, more like starvation, but it's possible.

I don't know what the standard size is, but do you think they are they so big that they are flooding out the ignition when you open up the throttle?
I was thinking that the jets are to small but this is my first carbd atv.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts