Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I do a wheelie or climb a steep hill my oil light will flash for a few seconds. Is this normal? or is it possible that my oil pump is getting week. The light on my kfx will come on while doing slow wheelies but goes out as soon as the bike is level again.

·
Super Moderator
12,553 Posts
I've never seen it on mine.

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess its not normal then, had better order a new oil pump i guess.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sounds like a stupid question but did you chech your oil level? May not have enough in it, and when you do a wheelie it all goes to the bad where the pump can't pick it up? I dont know just a thought. I haven't had this problem.

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats what I thought it may have been at first but the oil level is fine, I think it is a oil pressure problem because it started to seize the rocker arms and the cams have some marks on them. I ordered a new oilpump, cover and chain. Just hoping the case side of the pump isn't marked up. Hopefully get the bottom end tore down this weekend.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Did replacing the oil pump fix your problem.

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still not back together yet, im actually going to pull the bottom end and spliit the cases. The oil pump that was in it had a few marks in it but wasn't terrible. I want to split it so I can check the relief valve , pickup screen and bearing inserts. I wish I had have checked the oil pressure before I tore the engine down.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
hows the connection at the switch...

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Connection is good, first thing I checked, Its is definatly low oil pressure, the cams were marked up and the rockers had started to seize. Hoping I find something in the pick-up screen or the relief valve. Looks like someone who really didn't know what they were doing had the engine apart before me so who knows what I will find. There was some orange silicone used to seal up some spots so im guessing a chunk of that is blocking a passage somewhere.

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, Have it completely torn down, The oild pump has a few marks in it, have a new one to replace it. The relief valve seems to work fine, The connecting rod bearing inserts have some visible wear on them but nothing serious, I am going to replace them anyways while I have it torn down. All the oil passages seem to be clear, I sprayed brake clean through all of them and found nothing that was plugging them . Oil screen was clean but has a small tear in it so im going to replace that. Is there anything else that anyone can think of I should check? I don't want to get it put back together and find there was something else I should have replaced.
Thanks
Shane

1 - 10 of 10 Posts