Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
im working on my buddies kfx 400 and we had it started once but it poured gas through the vent on the petcock and died and wouldn't start back. so he bought a new petcock that did not have the vacuum and we plugged the port on the carb. we cleaned the carb changed the oil and filter, which had gas mixed in. and all we can get it to do is back fire. it back fires from the exhaust and the carb.

I even put the old petcock on and plugged the vacuum on it and still the same.

I did pull the cap off the side and checked the timing it seems to be right on the t and piston up on compression.

I also put a new diaphragm on the side of the carb.

could it be the cdi?

any body have any ideas. thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
sounds like its getting too much fuel OR the spark plug isint burning the fuel
so maby try a new plug( check for corrosion in the boot also)

also blow through the gas cap vent to make sure its not plugged

im no expert but hope these ideas help or give you more ideas

good luck

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Checked the valves lately?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do you have spark? For one reason or another you are flooding the motor which is causing the backfire. And you say the timing is correct? Possibly an air leak somewhere?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I found the problem. I unscrewed the choke cable from the carb and it fired right up. After 30 sec it did spit out oil through a tube that goes to the breather. I shut it off and cleaned up the oil and it started back and it has ran fine ever since with no oil spitting out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So you were flooding it by accident. Just hope he doesnt need the choke sometime while you have it unscrewed.:lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts