Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm a new member here and I've been watching this site for a couple years for tips but now I need help. Was on a 10 mile run for home when trouble struck. Started running slow all at once like from lack of gas, then died. Went to start, kicker wont move, engine locked up. Oil on top of case and on swingarm and shock. Appears oil tube failed. Not sure where to start teardown w nothing moving. Wire up the chain and pull the cam sprockets off and out to remove head? Hoping it's the top-end but probably not with my luck. Any and all help is much appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
272 Posts
its probly your crank seized up and what ever motor part you need to fix your motor i got so just let me know

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rod Bearing

Thanks Tecate. Will for sure keep that in mind for parts. Got head off and it appears the rod brng is hung up on crank. Moves maybe 1 1/2". Gotta pull the motor and split the cases huh? Gettin baggies and boxes ready. Sigh.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Motor is almost out. A couple bolts are left and I am wondering how much disassembly I'll need to do. Any tips or shortcuts? Things to for sure avoid? I'm using the Kawi service manual.

·
Registered
540 Posts
cwr greg here, you really need to take your time, look how the balance timing is hooked up there.when i rebuild cranks ($165 parts and labor) you need to replace the crank bearings and cam chain, make sure the cushin gear springs are replaced as well, if not you will regret it later.
check the kick starter gears for wear, i bet they wobble. replace those as well. then check the oil pump small metal parts like getting in there past the oil screen and chew that up. some overlook that part and then you lose oil pressure on the new assembled motor and eat out the came lobes or crank again.

i have lots of mojave goodies and upgrades that are top dog:lol:
greg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Greg. I've looked at your site before. I got the motor out in a bag, and the rolling frame tarped up outside. I have to wait to get more time to be able to tear this down. I'm waiting on parts for my kx 500 to come in the next day or two. Then I'll be riding that for a while. I'll have more questions about splitting the motor apart later. Thanks alot for the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts