Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I recently inherited a 2003 Mule 3000 with about 600 hours on it. It would start and run but it definitely didn't run very smooth and was sluggish with trouble idling. After getting it home it wouldn't start to even get it off the trailer. I did some research on this forum and decided to pull the heads and found both intake valves had stuck open which isn't surprising as the gas was at least two years old. I decided to put a carb kit on as well since I had to pull everything off to get the heads cleaned up. I followed the service manual for all specs and got it all put back together. It started right up but only lasted about 20 seconds before it started knocking so I immediately killed it. I pulled the spark plug on both cylinders and found coolant in the rear cylinder. What is the likelihood that the gasket didn't seat properly? Or could I have an issue with the head itself? I'm at a loss as it ran right up and prior to this when I first loaded it up to come home. Any ideas on where to go from here?

Registered
Kawasaki Mule 550, KAF-300-C5
Check your oil. I won't be surprised if coolant wasn't already in the oil due to a bad head gasket... I highly doubt there was an issue with the head gasket sealing as long the bolts are torqued proper it should be flawless... i would take it to a machine shop to see if they can magnaflux it and check it for cracks and also have them check to see if it is warped.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I changed the oil while I did the head work previously and it wasn鈥檛 milky or any noticeable difference that would indicate coolant had mixed with it. Thanks for the recommendation, I鈥檓 leaning towards just taking it in. I have contemplated getting a new head as well.

Registered
Kawasaki Mule 550, KAF-300-C5
Looks like a new head is $190... which is not bad....
And probably ought to find what's knocking now... See if it's just wear in the valves, or a connecting rod is knocking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts