Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to see if anyone has come across this recently developed issue.

03 Prairie 650 that’s been the most rock-solid machine we’ve ever owned. Been With us for a while now, and for the past several years has been my wife’s dedicated bike.

We were trail riding a few months ago and out of nowhere, after an hour or so, the bike just starts running terribly. Struggling to idle, struggling to accelerate. We finally get out of the woods and come to a stop, and she dies. Won’t crank.

The original owner had piggy-backed one of those old KFX700 Pro-Com Engineering CDI’s to the factory one. The only things hooked up were on the ignition, basically bypassing the factory ignition system to the aftermarket CDI. Not sure why, guessing maybe the 3 plug CDI wasn’t available or something like that.

So, I uninstalled it and got the factory CDI hooked back up as it was from the factory (thankfully they didn’t cut anything out of the factory harness). Thought I was going to be good to go. 2nd day of riding a few weekends ago, and SAME THING HAPPENS. The old girl starts spitting and sputtering and barely running.

I’m thinking maybe they put the CDI in like it was because the stock CDI was going bad. I’ve installed my Dynatek on her bike but it’s just been so busy and raining almost every day that we’ve not been able to get out for a longer ride. We’re supposed to be headed to Uwharrie or Brown Mtn this weekend to ride, but not sure that I trust just dropping a new CDI in and hoping for the best.

The P650 is meticulously maintained. Almost 10k miles on it, all original. Valves have been kept up and adjusted properly since new (have dealer service records from original owner and I’ve kept it up in the almost 10 years we’ve owned it).

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this on the older carbed bikes.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should also add that since the stock CDI is fully reinstalled, the bike cranks, idles, and runs, no problem. Just that when it’s been running for a while and everything is hot, it starts acting up.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
The only time I've experienced that is when the fuel tank check valve goes out. But mine never died as long as I had some throttle into it. But if I slowed down to let the engine brake kick in, or if I was crawling a steep hill, it would sputter and die.
One of my Wolverines did something similar when the stator was going out, then again when the fuel pump went out. Hopefully it's not that on your Prairie because they are expensive little pumps.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response as always Kickstart. First thing I tried was popping the cap on the fuel tank as I was thinking the same thing...no change. Being that it has the same symptoms with aftermarket CDI and the stock, with the only difference being the aftermarket CDI was completely dead and wouldn’t fire at all, I’m still leaning towards the CDI being the issue. I hate trying to troubleshoot intermittent problems, especially when it only acts up miles and miles from home and after it’s running hot for a bit (not overheating)

Fuel pump was my second thought and I’ve tested it. Plenty of flow to keep the carbs filled but may be acting up once it’s been running for a bit

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
My buddy got a bonafide bad CDI direct from Dynatek for his '02 650. It made his machine run like crap right from the startup. Also was hard to start. We sent it back to Dynatek and they said it was faulty. Second CDI came and it ran great with that one.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Let us know how it runs this weekend with your CDI in it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, my Dynatek is known to be good as I’ve been running it for several years. Fingers crossed that fixes it up so I can order another one and it’ll be fixed.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I won’t find out this weekend as I’ve decided to put the Dynatek back in my Brute and take it for the weekend instead. We are going to Brown Mountain and can’t risk the P650 acting up in that terrain, as some areas are dangerous enough as is. My wife will be cruising on my dad’s 2018 Kodiak 450 instead.

Hope to get it all figured out by next weekend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts