Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help...I've got a 2005 BF 650 stock from the factory.On the initial start (cold start) the machine will start/die, start/die, maybe a few times,it always starts, sometime it will start right away, once it stays running it runs rough, almost ready to die, for a minute or so until I can hear something CLICK, after it makes this CLICK sound the engine idles/runs fine.The machine runs & starts fine after the initial start. Is this something electrical that is sticking or what? :mad:
If my poor memory serves me right it has about 750 miles and about 150 hours on it. :hmm:
All help appreciated.:)

Thanx,
05-BF-650
Jeff

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the same machine, and I have never heard the "click" you are talking about. Not sure what that is. I do know that they wont run consistent until they are up to temp because coolant is pumped through the carbs, and the jetting should be set up for operating temperature.

I usually just give mine a little throttle for 10 seconds or so after I start it the first time so it runs around 800-1000 RPM's. Once I do that it comes down and idles fine. Hope that helps

Jeff

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Prior to this problem arising, I would do exactly as you say and it ran fine.I'm sorry I failed to mention, if I try to give it any gas it dies.I have never noticed the "click" sound before either, but it is noticeable just prior to the engine smoothing out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hmmm strange. We'll have to see if anybody else chimes in ........... :cool:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay I went home last night and started my 650 and it started right up, idling rough, made the mistake after it was running for a minute or so of trying to give it a little throttle,and it died ,and was very hard to start after that,it did start and I drove it around a bit,I noticed as it was idling it was sputtering a little,in reading some of the other threads on this forum, seems like the fix is usually adjust the valves, I have not ever done this and was wondering if this might be the problem.
Maybe someone will chime in and help me out.

Thanx,
05-BF-650

·
Registered
8 Posts
Okay I went home last night and started my 650 and it started right up, idling rough, made the mistake after it was running for a minute or so of trying to give it a little throttle,and it died ,and was very hard to start after that,it did start and I drove it around a bit,I noticed as it was idling it was sputtering a little,in reading some of the other threads on this forum, seems like the fix is usually adjust the valves, I have not ever done this and was wondering if this might be the problem.
Maybe someone will chime in and help me out.

Thanx,
05-BF-650
set your valves .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks drifter.I don't have a repair manual and am not familiar with adjusting the valves, can someone confirm that the instructions and diagrams shown on the 700V.com website would work for me on the BF-650?

Thanx,
05-BF-650
Jeff

·
Super Moderator
12,553 Posts
That "click" was the automatic compression release closing. Your idle must be WAY too slow. Rev it slightly and it will "click" sooner and idle smoother. Don't just start it and let it "chug" along at a very slow idle speed.

·
Premium Member
16,646 Posts
I'm not sure about the click noise.
It is colder in most parts of the country,so you may need to use the choke to get it started and a little throttle to keep it running.
Although.. I would also check the valve lash.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Here you go:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I posted a "No Power" thread the other day, and after reading this thread, I think I'm going to check my valves too!! ;)

·
Super Moderator
12,553 Posts
I need some help...I've got a 2005 BF 650 stock from the factory.On the initial start (cold start) the machine will start/die, start/die, maybe a few times,it always starts, sometime it will start right away, once it stays running it runs rough, almost ready to die, for a minute or so until I can hear something CLICK, after it makes this CLICK sound the engine idles/runs fine.The machine runs & starts fine after the initial start. Is this something electrical that is sticking or what? :mad:
If my poor memory serves me right it has about 750 miles and about 150 hours on it. :hmm:
All help appreciated.:)

Thanx,
05-BF-650
Jeff
Guys, you are not looking at the clues!
The engine makes a "click" noise and suddenly runs well? Does that sound like a valve adjustment to you?
Jeff, have you tried revving the engine slightly after it starts? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds to me like you are starting it without touching the throttle, and not touching the throttle until it starts to warm up.
I can tell you from first-hand experience that if the idle is extremely slow at start-up, the auto-compression release WILL NOT disengage,; the engine will chug along, run rough, and make lots of noise until you raise the RPM's high enough to disengage the comp. release. It will make a "click" and suddenly run good.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nova if I try to give it any throttle it dies.
Should I set the idle up a little before I try to start it and see what happens?
I know when this is said and done it's gotta be something simple.

Thanx,
Jeff

·
Super Moderator
12,553 Posts
Nova if I try to give it any throttle it dies.
Should I set the idle up a little before I try to start it and see what happens?
I know when this is said and done it's gotta be something simple.

Thanx,
Jeff
Try setting the idle speed higher.

·
Premium Member
16,646 Posts
Have you tried using the choke to start it. After it starts,back it off about have way till it's warmed up and doesn't need it anymore. I also like to work the throttle a little to help it warm up quicker.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts