Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
INPUT GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Background: The quad rolled down a hill, handlebars crushed down, ignition / key portion crushed. The frame section is shown in the attached pic (top-most portion of frame, the section where the steering shaft connects).

Goal of Post: On inspection I thought the frame might have to be replaced, but I am seeking opinions / recommendations on repair.

Note: New to this site, it won't let me post links until I post 5 times. You can look-up the OEM frame at Motosport (dot com), search for 2005 KFX 400...

First question: Is the 05 KFX 400 a STEEL frame? The OEM product does not say, but other websites spec it as steel. Mine is silver, so was not sure if it might be aluminum. Guess the rust is tell-tale (duh).

Looking at the OEM frame, it is the top-most section (i.e. where the steering shaft connects). It has a flat face with 4 holes. Notice the side/edges are straight on the diagram. Mine however now has a bowed-out edge (nearer the bottom) on both sides (equally, with no twisting to the side), the peak of it perhaps 1/8" (?) to the outside (on each side). It's not much.

It is not a radical bend, however I know specs are tight for frames. I am wondering if I can slowly squeeze both sides with a threaded C clamp, straightening the edges. If the frame is steel, which I think it is, then I believe it should be alright to bend it back. I realize some strength is lost, but certainly don't plan rolling it again soon...

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Steel frame.

Heat it up, bend it back, check it, bend it some more if needed, reinforce it, ride it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More detail...?

I'm not a frame expert... more detail on heating/bending and reinforcing...?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Heat it up with a torch and bend it back.
Use a cresent wrench with a long handle or a long pair of channel locks to gain some leverage.

If its back in place, weld in some gussets.
I would weld a steel plate on the side of the mount where that ripple is. After you've removed the ripple of course.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Heat it up with a torch and bend it back.
Use a cresent wrench with a long handle or a long pair of channel locks to gain some leverage.

If its back in place, weld in some gussets.
I would weld a steel plate on the side of the mount where that ripple is. After you've removed the ripple of course.

I think that would be about right. Bend it back and weld a gusset (like a little steel triangle brace) wherever it would seem to need it. I know a guy with a shop down there that may be able to help you out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts