Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just bought an 06 KFX 50 for my son a few days ago. It fired right up when we checked it out, but when I got home I realised the choke had been on the whole time we were speaking with the sellers. After we got home and I started it up, it would stall everytime I tried to switch the choke off to open it up while at idle.

I talked to a neighbor who said to try some carb or injector cleaner so I ran to the local autozone and they gave me Gum Out. We threw in about 2 caps and topped off the tank and left my son drive it for a while. Still couldnt open up the choke without it stalling. Someone then told me to try changing or cleaning the air filter. I ordered an air filter which won't come in until next wednesday or thursday. I also ordered a new spark plug with intent to change that as well.

In the meantime I downloaded the repair manual since I know nothing about repairing a quad. I then changed the transmission oil and topped off the oil resivoir for the engine using the recommended types from the manual. The old oil looked like it hadnt been changed in about two years. I cleaned the spark arrester as the manual depicted as well. I did notice that my son was able to accelerate a little faster than previously and I wasnt having to push him over little bumps in a basically flat lawn anymore.

My neighbor that fixes mowers and small engines then adjusted the idle speed for me as well after the kiddo was done riding for the day. Still stalling wihout choke though

Does anyone recommend anything I can use to clean this out without having to pay someone to clean the carb by hand. I'm trying to do as much as I can by myself but like I said I am pretty clueless with these things and sometimes those pictures in the manual aren't the best.

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
Sounds like the carb is going to have to come off and be properly cleaned. I have yet to see a product that you add to the gas that actually cleans the carb properly.

·
Registered
12,396 Posts
Sounds like the carb is going to have to come off and be properly cleaned. I have yet to see a product that you add to the gas that actually cleans the carb properly.
As above. The idle circuit isn't flowing any gas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Once my air filter and new spark plug arrive I think I'll get my neighbor to clean the carb up. If I've got to take all the plastic off anyway I might as well do it all at once.

Have a good one!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts