Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got my girlfriend a 06 prairie and ever since i got it running from the guy i bought it from it seems like it revvs up really high and doesnt go anywhere. is this normal for the small bore big bikes?:confused:

when taking off its like it has a super high stall torque converter and wont move till the rpms go quite a ways up (im guessing 2000rpm). even when driving it always seems to be screaming.

am i just too used to my torquey bf750? ive ridin it down a back asphault road wide open with my GF following me on my BF and she says the fastest i went was 42, and let me tell yopu it sounded like it was turning 9000rpm.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Could be as simple as a really bad belt. Did you take a look at it? Check specs for width and deflection as well as the sheave travel.

Never ridden one of these but i've seen videos and i've never really noticed anything like the machine screaming. It seemed pretty tame to be honest. I'm pretty sure something is not right.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hav not personally checked the belt, but was told it was replaced just before I bought it. it's dam sure not like my brute, soon as I touch the throttle it's moving.

I thought if the belt was worn that bad it wouldn't go very fast on the top end but 40+ seems acceptable for a 360.:confused:

·
Registered
849 Posts
the guy in my last post gets to 50. And take a look a this.

Looks like it engages pretty soon in this video. The belt may be good but if the clutch is worn for some reason it wont perform like it should.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea, see, that red one in the second vid is nothing like mine. if you could imagine having a manual clutch, how you rev it up to get it moving, thats how this is. the one int he vid almost instantaneously goes whereas mine revs up with more of a delay before it goes and the RPM it gains befor eit move it seems to carry up thru as the speed increases. aso when your driving at a normal 10mph and punch it it revs up but doesnt really do much and slowly gains speed.

PS- it has 26" ITP XTRs on it.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Definatly something wrong with the clutch. Take the cover off and jack the back wheels. Give it some gas and check how it performs. Even better take a video and post it on here. Some people that know the clutches better than i do probably will tell you outright whats wrong.

Don't take my word on it but i'm pretty sure they are the same in your 750. They should at least perform very similar to each other.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It wont hurt anything to crank it with the cover off? I thought with the actuator and stuff unhooked it would mess something up. :confused:

·
Registered
294 Posts
i have the black and pink spring in mine i have barely any stall with it.ill only run about 42 with tire and my big but on mine.

·
Registered
849 Posts
No it won't hurt with anything. The KEBC will not function but you don't really need it for what you're gonna do. As soon as you plug it back, it will work. I did this a few times.

Just keep loose clothing, hair and fingers away from the clutch. :p

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dont put my hands near the belt while its running - check. lmao

im thinking its probably the belt. the guy i bought it from said it was a new belt thelast time he went out with it, which just so happened to be the time he sank it and got water in and messed up the motor. said hes put a few belts on it and said that why he'll never own another kawi. this guys mechanical ability is "lacking" so ill check the belt.

anybody know the width its supposed to be?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
think i figured out the problem. i tookt he converter cover off this weekend and cranked it up and put it in gear to see what it was doing. the reaso (i believe) it revs up so high is the primary drive "driven" sheaves hav a flat worn spot at the bottom. so when i try to accelerate with the bike it has to rev up and take up the "slop" int he converter system to grab the belt and move the bike.

does this sound right? ive never worked on the drive belts on these bikes.

PS- i bought 2 used belts from a fellow member on here to see if tht was the problem, turns out the belt i hav is actually thicker/newer than the ones i got from him, so i guess i can eliminate the belt being worn out.

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
The wear on the sheaves would not make any appreciable change to the engagement RPM's.
Check the primary clutch spring to make sure someone hasn't swapped in a very high stall spring.
If it's not that, then the clutch is probably worn out. The 360 uses the same clutch as the v-twins, but the 360's seem to beat the clutch to death possibly because of the single cylinder pulse.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wear is the clutch?

When it grabs it goes... When taking off the front pulley moves probably 1/2-3/4" before it hits the belt.:eek:

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
Wear is the clutch?

When it grabs it goes... When taking off the front pulley moves probably 1/2-3/4" before it hits the belt.:eek:
Don't run it; it sounds like the spider has broken or come unscrewed from the assembly.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
need a little help to know what to look for that could be bad/broken. i just went and looked again, the outter sheave is about 1/2" away from the belt. i can push ont he outter sheave to take upt he slop and it move about 1/2" and is pretty easy to push (guessing 15lbs or so). nothing appears to be broken, but then again i dont know what to look for.

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
1/2 inch is way too far. Something is wrong.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Took a couple pics and made a video of it doing its thing.

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
It doesn't look as bad distance-wise in the pic, but the video shows alot of movement, and a fair amount of rpm's before it reaches the belt.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Now you kinda get the symptoms. Any ideas on where to start looking?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts