Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my rear brake stuck on,on my 08 Brute 650 and wont release. I checked the foot lever and the hand lever and both are adjusted properly. I cant find anything sticking or hanging up. I'm heading to Hatfield and McCoy trails on the 11th of Nov. and need help fast.

·
Registered
4 Posts
is it just the switch leaving the brake light on? Or is the brake actually on? My foot brake needed adjustment cause the switch wasn't shutting the light off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The brake is stuck on. The quad wont roll in nuetral. I can drive it, but you can feel the resistance and the rear end is vary hot to the touch.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Have you tried adjusting it at the swingarm?

I would unscrew them both all the way.

If it is still siezed then that eliminates the cable adjustment.

If that don't work then check your diff fluid, look for metal shavings, or any foreign substances.

Might as well do the easy stuff before you tear into it.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
You might have to tear into the swingarm..:cool:

Maybe somebody more knowledgeable than me will chime in..

·
Registered
711 Posts
The rear brake in thses are like a clutch .There are mutiple disc and metal plates.If the wrong fluid was used in it on the brake was overheated,then the disc material can come apart causing it to jam.Also the part that actuates the brake in the diff is a ball and ramp set up .If water ever got in the diff it will cause them to rustup and jam.Either way you are going to have to open it up to see.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The cable for my rear hand break sticks and I have to grab the brake lever on the diff with pliers and pull it to make it release. I can not use my hand break but if I use the foot brake it releases. I need a new cable. Pull on it and see if use can unstick it, then try the hand break and see if that is the culprit. If not do the same with the foot break. I bet one of the cables is bad.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The cables are clean and move free. I just dropped the quad off at the dealership and they will tear it apart since it was under warranty when it happened.Now the real fun will begin.Now we will see if Kawasaki stands behind thier quads or if I get the old "It was abuse" story. Wish me luck...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts