Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, long time reader first time poster.
I have a 09 brute 750i over the winter it started not wanting to idle. I would just keep on the throttle to get through snow blowing. Well I went to start it up to take the snow blower off and it started and was only running on one cylinder. Tried playing with it for a minute with no luck and shut it down. came back the next day And it only starts with starting fluid and runs until it’s out of starting fluid.

I have been planning on giving it a full tune up anyways, so I put new plugs, coils, wires on it and check compression 45 psi in each. Still no start.

Checked fuel pressure and it was roughly 35-40psi which is just a hair low so I decided to put a new pump in from high flow fuel and it may have picked up a couple psi. Mind you I’m using a modified compression tester to check so it may not be quite accurate. Still no start.

while digging down to the fuel pump I found a few wire connections and the ecm connections just starting to green up. So I cleaned the corrosion out and greased every connector. Still no start.

So now with new plugs wires coils, fuel pump and good clean wire connections, it still won’t start. If I spray starting fluid down the throttle bodies it starts and runs on both cylinders then dies after a few seconds.

the fi light goes off after a few seconds like normal, it has been rebuilt before roughly 800 miles ago which was 6 years. It does have hmf exhaust, the cheasy hmf fuel controller(which I did bypass to see if it would start) snorkels and a uni air filter. I’m questioning the injectors or ecm at this point. Am I correct in that or am I missing something.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Were the valves replaced when it was rebuilt, and if so, what brand were they, and were they adjusted properly?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I beleive valves were original. It had a lower end knock. I bought this from my uncle two years ago. So I don’t quite know what all got replaced. I haven’t touched the valve train yet on it. But compression is good so I’m assuming valves should be close enough to run

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
I beleive valves were original. It had a lower end knock. I bought this from my uncle two years ago. So I don’t quite know what all got replaced. I haven’t touched the valve train yet on it. But compression is good so I’m assuming valves should be close enough to run
Actually, 45 psi is bottom of the spec range. For both of them to be at bottom, I think you're valves are open. These bikes are notoriously hard to start if the valves aren't properly adjusted.
Do a valve check first, then we'll be able to look at the next thing if needed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That was checked ice cold at 15 degrees out. I can get it to start with starting fluid and it will run and rev for a few seconds before it runs out of starting fluid. If the valves were sticking open I don’t think it would run at all. But i will check them anyways just to rule that out! Thanks

·
Registered
12,422 Posts
It's not getting fuel.
It has spark.
It has enough compression to start/run, so it's not the valves and/or compression.
See if the injectors are firing and go from there.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
That was checked ice cold at 15 degrees out.
That will definitely make a difference!
My machine jumped up about 10 psi from cold to warm. That was room temp to too hot to touch. So you're probably right in the middle range.
Your problem is elsewhere.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That’s what I was thinking. Can you see injectors firing without pulling them out? My machine is covered in mud still due to it still being below freezing in this god awful state haha. I’ve been using my shop vac to keep everything clean as possible.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Three things to check. Fuel, air, exhaust. Is your airbox clogged up with anything? Is your exhaust clogged up with anything? Check those to make sure they are open and eliminate those as the problem. By the sounds of it, you have a fuel starvation issue. Not familiar with the EFI machines as I have an '06, but this is telltale fuel starvation. If you know somebody with another Brute, try a CDI swap to see if that works. Hopefully the EFI gurus on here can give you some better insight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My air box is removed right now while I’m working on it. So that’s not blocked. The exhaust I did notice I have one pipe came loose from the muffler. I will pull the muffler off and make sure the pipe is clear. Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts