Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went on a ride I was going through a hole an it dropped off (not snorkeled) I kept the air box above water, then it shut off in the water I started it back up went a Little more then it shut off again with the muffler under water I tried to start it an it wouldn't we pulled it out pulled the plugs turned it over shot little water off the cylinder heads out the spark plug holes put the plugs back in. An all it does is turn over it won't start. There Is no water in the oil its still clear. Any ideas what I can try!?

·
Registered
239 Posts
check for spark, something might have gotten wet somewhere. If no spark, check your connections.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked spark on the front plug an I have it there. Is it possible that the intake valves are stuck? Because when I turn it over little water still spits out the muffler

·
Registered
346 Posts
Water out of the muffler is ok but youre going to have to dry out or change your plugs i would think. It takes a little bit to ge the moisture out if the combustion chamber Pull the plugs and turn the engine over a couple times to make sure you got all of it out I would also continue to check the oil Water will seep down in

·
Super Moderator
12,553 Posts
Squirt a little oil down the plug holes and give'er a try.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Tip front end up and drain water out of exhaust and pull plugs and crank it. I bet there is still water in there. Did you try fresh plugs?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ima try that! I didn't put new plugs just dried the old ones! Ima put new plugs an try the oil on top of the piston. Thank you all!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Dont dump oil in the cylinder Just squirt a little penetrating oil or wd40 to lube the cylinder New plugs and she should fire Check the oil make sure no milk

·
Registered
615 Posts
you need to lift the front end and drain the water out of the exhaust pipe. Also check the air box inside for water. It iwll suck water up into it. if you do all of this it will start.

·
Super Moderator
12,553 Posts
A few squirts of motor oil will jack up the compression, and make it want to start. If the plugs were water fouled, either change them or dry them well with a cig lighter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dried the old ones with a lighter an it didn't even sound like it wanted to fire so after work I'm going to try new plugs an a little oil to see if that will work. Do they have a breather hose on the gas tank? Should I drain all the gas an put new gas in it?

·
Super Moderator
12,553 Posts
The breather hose is routed up in the pod at the bars.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tried all that an it still don't fire it sounds like when it's turning over its weak. An the battery is charged. It did have water in oil while we were turning it over it blew the dip stick out. We changed the oil an it still sounds weak when turning over

·
Super Moderator
12,553 Posts
Since it's been completely drowned, you should do a search on this site for the best ways to get it prepped to run again.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Youre going to have to flush it Going to be a pain I did my best friends brute not long ago I drained the oil and flushed it with diesel. Pour diesel in it and crank it over a few times The diesel has oil in it so it wont harm you bike. Then just change the oil and filter as long as it takes to get clean oil. Put oil in it and start it after about the third oil change Dont let it run too long

·
Super Moderator
12,553 Posts
The breather hose is routed up in the pod at the bars.
My fuel tank breather runs to the frame right at the tank. I would drain tank and put fresh gas in just to be sure.
True; check the fuel in the tank.
Also, stand the quad up on it's tail to get the water to drain out of crevasses in the engine; there's lots of places in the engine that trap and hold water.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Pull your spark plug out, hook it back up and ground it and turn it over to verify you are getting spark. May be a slim chance the water shorted something..

·
Registered
906 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts