Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally completed the build and took it for the first ride today (cbr1000rr motor in a Kfx700 frame). My only issue is that on the take off the rear end squats and I get some hop to the rear end. I let a friend ride it so I could watch it. You can see the chain and axle hopping on the take off. I don't know if the chain gets too tight and causes it or what. Any info on that would be greatful!

After about 30 minutes I got a little more comfortable and started giving it some throttle and ended up destroying my rear sprocket and sprocket hub:eek:. It was all alluminum, looking for a steel set up now. Although after looking at some of the pieces I found, the screws that connect the sprocket and sprocket hub were not tight any more. So I also wounder if maybe a screw or two came loose and basically weekend the set up.

Over all I could not be more happy with it, looks sweet, sounds sweet hauls @$$!!
Again, any info on the wheel/chain hop would be helpful, thanks!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Where's the pics?:confused:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well by this weekend I should have my rear end back together and hopefully get some video. Last week my hard drive crashed, been useing my Iphone to get on the Internet. I never could figure out how to post pics on here.
I know you guys want to see it, I will try and figure something out to post some pics.
Also trying to set up a day to take it down to moroso speed way for a couple quarter mile runs. I will get video when I go, no date set yet.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
is the sprocket alignment dead on? if not the chain can try to ride off the rear sprocket and that will cause alot of trouble.. you should be able to tell by looking at the rear sprocket and see if the chain is rubbing on one side..

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
remove the shock and swing the swingarm up and down. does it move linear up and down or does it cockeye a little.

NO WAY are you getting away with aluminum sprockets. the hub is fine aluminum. but I use the sidewinders.

Mine wheelhops BAD!! I had to strut it and it still does it.

if you are using a stock V rear shock you have to tighten up the preload.

John

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What do you put in the bottle for the rear shock to refill it, is it just compressed air? I tried to stiffen it up, but I believe the bottle is empty.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
What do you put in the bottle for the rear shock to refill it, is it just compressed air? I tried to stiffen it up, but I believe the bottle is empty.

nitrogen is what they use to refill them, but your preload is adjusted by tightening the adjusting nuts on the shock, either shortening or lengthening the spring..

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am going to strut the rear and see if that doesn't help out with the wheel hop. It squats too much, putting a lot of extra load on the drive system.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
any pics and vids yet? i have a few bikes to get out of the way then its back to work on mine.. i got my pipe and filters the other day so im getting horny to hear it run :D

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
We need VIDEO!!!!! :wub:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been on here for an hour and a half trying to get a video on. I've tried a clip that is about 15 seconds long but when it loads up it just says waiting!!
I guess I am clue less with this kind of stuff!
I will try some photos but I have never had any luck on this site with that.

I got the sprocket and hub together and is holding strong. I have got rid of the wheel hop and is running 100%. I need to get better video because It was taken on christmas and I had the family, basically giving rides. More of family videos, not something great to post. Hopefully I can get a friend to film a couple of good runs and try to post on youtube.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I could not figure out how to post a pic, but I made an album with three pics from my cell phone. View my public profile and the album with the pics should be there.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Love the exhaust you got rigged on it. Why did you switch to a twist throttle? Bike looks very clean grate job.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks! It took me a while to figure out what I was going to do with the exhaust. I decided to get a stock header for the motor and just start playing with it. I did have to cut it up and change some angles on it, but it only took about 2 hours to complete.
For the first week it was running, I just had 4 strait pipes about a 1.5 feet long. It was extremely loud, needed ear plugs just to rev it up past 5k rpm's. The pair of shorty mufflers made all the difference.

I do like the twist throttle, but I mainly went with it cause it does not take up as much room as the thumb throttle.

I did set up a youtube account, so as soon as I get a video worthy of representing the 1000, it will be posted. I searched my area for a quad dyno, but had no luck. I know that honda claims 170HP at the crank, but I was reading some threads over on *********** and some guys are getting that at the wheels with a good exhaust. I would like to know, but either way, I am just glad to have it complete and ready to ride. Happy New Year everybody!!

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
looks good, how do you find the gearing with the small rear sprocket? most of the swaps ive seen are running huge rear sprockets.. im going to try the stock fzr and DS sprockets first and see how it works

·
Registered
157 Posts
Get the g-tac free app for your I phone and tell us what times you get in the 1/8 mile. It tells you how many g you pull too! :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
looks good, how do you find the gearing with the small rear sprocket? most of the swaps ive seen are running huge rear sprockets.. im going to try the stock fzr and DS sprockets first and see how it works
I have been running a 14 front and a 44 rear. I have other front and rear sprockets, but I seem to like the set up currently, I am still hitting the trails. As is I have a hard time keeping the front end down, any bigger on the rear and I would need a full time wheelie bar:lol:!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts