Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still have stock tires/rims on my BF750i and looking to replace them. In the course of my research I have heard several recommendations stating that radials on 14" wheels give way better control than the same tire on a 12". I mainly trail ride but if I see a mud pit there is something in me that just HAS to cross it!! Does anyone out there have any experience with the handling differences between the wheel sizes???? Also, in the great search for the 'ultimate tire' I am stuck; is the Mud Lite XTL REALLY worth almost half again nearly any other tire out there?!? Been looking at the GBC Sparticus or Grimm Reaper also.... HELP!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
i just replaced my stock rims and tires for 14" ss112 with XTR 27" and what a difference on trails and mud - friggin awesome. i have no other experience with other rim and tires on atvs. 2008 BF750

they say (whoever the hell they are) that 14" handles better but rougher ride due to less side wall

Picasa Web Albums - Rick Rick

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
Keep in mind that 14" rims will be heavier than 12" and you will see an improvement in handling even with 12" and a stiffer 6-8 ply tire + rougher ride. IMO that tire is not worth the extra......Zilla's are a good tire and they are light but there are plenty good tires out there.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, TP101!! I checked out your web pic and it looks like you do some mudding. Do you have a snorkel on?? My last quad was a Suzuki and I didn't have to worry about all this water in the intake stuff unless the water was higher than my seat!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kawboy1; will the rim weight be more than what is lost on the less tire compound?? I suppose I could check the ship weights first.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks, TP101!! I checked out your web pic and it looks like you do some mudding. Do you have a snorkel on?? My last quad was a Suzuki and I didn't have to worry about all this water in the intake stuff unless the water was higher than my seat!
no snorkel - my purse gets caught on the shifter everytime the h20 looks deep :p, i'm just a recreational rider for trails and some mud, oh and for plowing snow. initially i was just looking for tires on my stock rims but for a few hundred more you get rims too and you can sell your stockers to make up some of the diff. good luck on your purchase and i think you will be happy with either 12 or 14 because the new tires will beat the hell out of the stockers.

·
Registered
380 Posts
also 14's are more likly to get a pinched sidewall and i 2nd the zillas great wear no problems as well as a great all around tires

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have 27 inch xtrs on 14 inch wheels they ride very rough..good tire though but im lookin to prolly sell em and go back to 25 inch on 12 inch wheel.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no snorkel - my purse gets caught on the shifter everytime the h20 looks deep :p, i'm just a recreational rider for trails and some mud, oh and for plowing snow. initially i was just looking for tires on my stock rims but for a few hundred more you get rims too and you can sell your stockers to make up some of the diff. good luck on your purchase and i think you will be happy with either 12 or 14 because the new tires will beat the hell out of the stockers.
Yeah, I know. I replaced the stocks on my old Vinson with Kenda Executioners. Nice mud tires, hardly ever got stuck but rode rougher than my Ex..:eek: Looking for a bit smoother ride!!

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
got disagree with mudlites... to me there just AWFUL... running 30's.. they wear fast, traction sucks...im getting outlaws for christmas, I run about the same stuff as your, if you want a trail tire the first tire I would look at would be the Zilla's, have heard nothing but good things about them

·
Registered
169 Posts
also 14's are more likly to get a pinched sidewall and i 2nd the zillas great wear no problems as well as a great all around tires
I have grown to like my Zillas as well. I was at Mines and Meadows a few months back (great park in South Penn) and the hills are crazy there. The zillas are great climbers and good in the mud, overall smooth ride as well.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks like the overall opinion run that the XTRs are rough riding and not worth the extra$$ and the Zillas are the way to go. Also, not much gained but extra weight on the quad and less in the checkbook from the larger wheels. I shall check around for Zillas on 12" wheels. Thanks B)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts