Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We ran the Mule yesterday morning, no problems. After lunch, I went to start it and it just cranked. I realized that the fuel pump was not making any noise as it usually does before you start it.
I checked the fuses but everything looked good.

Any ideas guys? Thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
make sure the relays under the hood are all plugged in properly and the wiring harness is still connected to the top of the fuel pump.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
make sure the relays under the hood are all plugged in properly and the wiring harness is still connected to the top of the fuel pump.
I went through all of that yesterday, could not find anyone that was loose. There are about 6 relays under the hood.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dealer says fuel pump is bad. He said Kawasaki usually will not pay for it in warranty unless the filter has been changed every 100 hrs.

Looks like the Pro has the same fuel pump problems as other models. Does anyone make an aftermarket pump?

·
Registered
1 Posts
The problem is the plug at the top of the fuel pump. Remove the fuel pump from the vehicle. Unplug the wires that got from the bottom of the pump down to the pump motor. You sell see that there is a darkening of the. insulation around one of the two wires (I can't remember which color wire it is). I have experienced this several times on a Mule pro and a Trex. I showed the problem to my dealer. He has three pumps that he has replaced due to pump failure. The all had the same problem. When I soldered the wire coming from the pump motor to the bottom of the plug, the problem was fixed. By the way, the pumps cost about $700.00. I filed a complaint with the Federal Consumer Product Safety Commission and received a call from Kawasaki about the problem. I do not know if they ever redesigned the connector for the wife from the fuel pump motor to the plug at the top of the fuel tank.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The problem is the plug at the top of the fuel pump. Remove the fuel pump from the vehicle. Unplug the wires that got from the bottom of the pump down to the pump motor. You sell see that there is a darkening of the. insulation around one of the two wires (I can't remember which color wire it is). I have experienced this several times on a Mule pro and a Trex. I showed the problem to my dealer. He has three pumps that he has replaced due to pump failure. The all had the same problem. When I soldered the wire coming from the pump motor to the bottom of the plug, the problem was fixed. By the way, the pumps cost about $700.00. I filed a complaint with the Federal Consumer Product Safety Commission and received a call from Kawasaki about the problem. I do not know if they ever redesigned the connector for the wife from the fuel pump motor to the plug at the top of the fuel tank.
Ok I'm new at this, trying to solve a problem by myself...where is the fuel pump located and what does it look like? Back story. I bought a 2016 used. Driving down the road it dies, come to a stop turn the key off wait a minute starts right up. Took it to the shop tell me the "brain" is going out. Drive till it does. Ok. Start doing it more often. Take it back to the shop. Repaired some wires this time. Got it home drives like a dream no problems. Then here we go again start dying goingdown the road. Gets worse maybe dies twice a trip. Turn the key off wait a minute cranks right up. Only the last time it didn't crank right up. Had to be towed in:(. What next? Anyone?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Ok I'm new at this, trying to solve a problem by myself...where is the fuel pump located and what does it look like? Back story. I bought a 2016 used. Driving down the road it dies, come to a stop turn the key off wait a minute starts right up. Took it to the shop tell me the "brain" is going out. Drive till it does. Ok. Start doing it more often. Take it back to the shop. Repaired some wires this time. Got it home drives like a dream no problems. Then here we go again start dying goingdown the road. Gets worse maybe dies twice a trip. Turn the key off wait a minute cranks right up. Only the last time it didn't crank right up. Had to be towed in:(. What next? Anyone?
I am ASSUMING you Have a Mule Pro FX or FXT.
Fuel pump in in the fuel tank
Mulefuelpump.JPG

·
Registered
93 Posts
sounds like you need to change fuel filter after you stop the dirt settles and lets fuel in again

·
Registered
11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
I changed the fuel pump. Still having problems. Someone said maybe a grounding issue. I'll try that next.
maybe plug wires try electrical tape from where they go into the head down to the sparkplug had the same problem with mine common issue bought new wires fixed problem hope it works for you just a thought

·
Registered
11 Posts
I put it in the shop. They finally got it to throw a code. It was a $59 solenoid. Which one I don't remember lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok finally got it out the shop. Still having problems. Talk to the mechanic that previously worked on it and he told me that he replaced the rollover tip switch that is located under the dash ? Is this a thing or is he just blowing smoke? I can not find any info on this.

·
Registered
163 Posts
A vehicle rollover switch is possible, the service manual for the Pro MX shows a vehicle down sensor connected to the ECU

·
Registered
406 Posts
Ok finally got it out the shop. Still having problems. Talk to the mechanic that previously worked on it and he told me that he replaced the rollover tip switch that is located under the dash ? Is this a thing or is he just blowing smoke? I can not find any info on this.
You need to post which Mule model you have. Especially when you post to some else's thread.
For the Mule Pro FX and FXT drawing from parts show "vehicle down sensor"
mulefxtvehicledown.JPG

·
Registered
163 Posts
Anything is possible with a faulty sensor that should cause the fuel pump to shut off, but since the issue remains there may be an issue with the wiring with a sensor or the fuel pump itself

1 - 20 of 21 Posts