Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. New to this forum but love forums in general. Just bought a 1990 Bayou 220 and it doesn't run. Got it for almost nothing and the engine is not seized. I can turn it over with the pull cord. Threw in a new battery today but I get nothing. No lights, no sounds, nothing at all. Any tips on where to start? Ignition worth doing for the $8? Thanks guys!! Hope to learn all about these bikes while fixing this one up and be able to help others down the road.

Brad.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hmm. Yoy checked the fuse?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will do that today. The fuse is in the mess of wiring right by the battery, right? From what I've seen on other threads.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yes it is

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, replaced the fuse. Now the solenoid buzzes but that's it. Ordering a new solenoid tonight. Making progress! :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Try jumping the silenoid to. Take a screwdriver and touch both of the bolts. It'll spark and should turn over.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Did you have good contact? Mine won't jump the silenoid sometimes when it's dirty. It's possible it could be the starter too l.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had good contact but nothing happened. New solenoid will be here in a couple days. I'll update then. :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Loose contact is very common for rides that sit for a long time or didn't had much cleaning and maintenance. Start with cleaning thoroughly to ensure contacts are intact. Welcome

·
Registered
277 Posts
Not even a click? Hit the start button and test the starter with a multimeter to see if you get and power to it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not even a click. I will go through it more when I get some time. See what is getting power and what isn't. :) What is the other round metal part in with the battery and solenoid? It looks pretty old as well, surface rust, etc. Just curious! Thanks for all the help so far guys and I'll keep this updated as I go along. Have a good 4th if I'm not back on before then. :cool:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Other round metal part? Got a pic?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Has a white plug going into it and looks like an old flasher in a car. Has it's own rubber boot it sits in beside the rubber boot for the solenoid.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's probably a circuit breaker but hard to tell simply from a description. If that's what it is you should be able to test it with a multi meter. See if you have 12v+ on the ding wire to the solenoid when you press the start button. The ding wire is what I'm calling the small wire that acts as the switch leg on the solenoid.

If you have bypassed the solenoid by jumping across the two large terminals it sounds like you have a bad starter or a bad ground between the starter and the battery.

Just go through your basic flow chart for troubleshooting the circuit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, back from vacation so I can get back to work on the bike! I took the body off and racks off yesterday to get a better look at everything. I tried pull starting it and I'm not getting anything that way either. It pulls and turns over once or twice per pull but it doesn't try to fire or run at all. I have 0 experience working on pull starts. But, I would assume if I have the key on, put a spark checker on the plug wire and pull it should show spark, right? I figure if I can get it running on the pull start, I can take my time with the push button start. I know I am switching gears here, but it seems like that might be the easy way to get it running for now. I don't want to sink tons of money in it. If it won't start I will clean it all up, put it back together and try to get my (so far) $250 back and move on.

·
Registered
277 Posts
With the key on you should be gettin a spark when you pull it. Could be a bad ignition cool possibly?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts