Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
I am a new owner of a 1990 KLF300-C 4x4 as the title suggests.
This Bayou had been left for about 10 years unattended.
I installed a new gas tank valve/filter thinggy, chinese carburetor, starter relay, starter, starter solenoid as well as a new reverse cable (was cut). The carburator and gas tank valve/filter thinggy were so clogged up by the old gas that I had to drill the original gas tank valve thinggy to even be able to see what it was (or I should say, SMELL what it was)... the rest was missing.
Now, it starts super easily and with no issues. However, it puffs oil like its nobody's business... and I'd like to remedy this, so I started to take off all of the bolts of the top end and I took off the pull start too so I can try to remove the crankshaft's bolt to remove the sprocket...
I tried a wrench, I tried a breaking bar, I tried a breaking bar with a tube for even more leverage, I tried a 1120lbft impact..... nothing worked... now, the head is all messed up from the impact (literally took 2 seconds to demolish the head, and I was at the lowest speed out of 3 speeds).
What can I do now? I don't really want to grind the head, remove the sprocket, hunt down a new crankshaft... because I'm from Canada and US parts hard to get by, I have to order from Amazon or eBay and the shipping fees are very high...
Everyone I spoke to, told me that with a wrench the bolt could be removed pretty easily....... I tried lefty loosey, nope... I tried righty loosey, nope.... it won't budge. I thought there might be some loc-tite or something like this, so I heated it up and tried removing it, still did nothing... I tried using a hammer and knocking on the head to loosen it, sometimes that works... nope..
Any help would be appreciated! I really want to revive that darn thing and see it working properly.

If my engine is too damaged for repairs (I was told it would be probably 2000 to 3000$ CAD to do so from the explanation I gave them), would it be possible to buy a good working bayou with a 2x4 engine, slap the transfer case from my 4x4 onto it, slap the front driveshaft of my 4x4 onto the 2x4 and ride? or is there other things that needs to be done? and, does it absolutely need to be a KLF300C, or can it be a B or A model?

This is my first time working on anything mechanically "challenging", I want to learn, and I think I made a lot of progress, but I'm stuck now, I don't know what to do with this... I got the Bayou for free and I've put already 600$ onto it, while "good used" ones sell for about 1500-2000$ or so, I'd like to not go beyond the 1000$ mark as the plastics are too damaged to be worth anything more than 1200 from what I've seen... so I'd like to feel as if I kinda made a good deal out of it lol...

Thanks a lot for all of your help!

· Registered
25 Posts
I am confused which bolt are you trying to take out? Nothing on the bottom end needs to be taken off to rebuild the topend. The only sprocket you remove is the one on the cam. Then i tie a wire to the timing chain so it doesn’t fall inside the motor.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am confused which bolt are you trying to take out? Nothing on the bottom end needs to be taken off to rebuild the topend. The only sprocket you remove is the one on the cam. Then i tie a wire to the timing chain so it doesn’t fall inside the motor.
This is exactly what I am trying to remove. The bolt for the timing chain sprocket (where the cam is)

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah only way to remove that is with a 6point 12mm socket and a impact wrench. Its a regular rh thread (left loosens it) only option now is to weld a nut to it. Lots of youtube videos on it.
Alright, thanks. I hoped that what I did wasn't wrong and/or stupid... Glad to hear I wasn't.
I wonder though if I weld a nut onto it, if it would come out anyway..... I used a 1,120lb-ft impact wrench and it did nothing to it except chew the head in like a second at the slowest speed... Do you have any videos to link for me? I searched and I couldn't find anything, all the videos I found were "You gotta do this..... - Video cut - ....now that it's done.."
Thanks for your answer by the way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts