Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Im new to this forum. Not sure if the right section. My question is-
Does anyone know how to remove the secondary clutch spring in a Prairie 400. All the totorials videos i have found are from newer models and they look different.
And in case my secondary is damage, does anyone know if the newer prairie secondary clutch from 1999-2002 will fit in mine? They look a bit different but there are several for sale on ebay. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Not sure. I dont recall my 2000 being difficult but that was many years ago and I am not sure how it is different from yours. Post a pic of the back and front.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure. I dont recall my 2000 being difficult but that was many years ago and I am not sure how it is different from yours. Post a pic of the back and front.
Thanks for replying. I dont have pics rigjt now but i scren shots these ones from ebay. It looks exacly like that one.
Sadly that one on ebay its for parts only so it really hard to find a good one . I will take pictures of mine later when i get home

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
Not sure but looks to me like you have to remove all of those bolts, slowly. It is probably under spring pressure so you will want place a long bolt thru the hole and then as you back out the bolts you can start backing the nut off the large bolt you placed thru the center which is holding the thing from flying apart. Just guessing so be very careful.

i used a long carriage bolt, drilled a hole in a piece of 2x10, pounded the bolt to seat in the hole. Now place the clutch over the bolt and install large flat washer and nut and make the nut finger tight. Now as you loosen the clutch bolts you can begin backing off the carriage bolt nut. Easier when bolt is seated in board because you dont have to hold the other end with a wrench.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for replying again
I got to remove the secondary clutch cover and i noticed the spring doesnt have any tension at all, is it normal or its broken?
I noticed some wear also i will post picture.
Do you think this clutch can be rebuilt or just buy a new one?

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not sure as I am not familiar with your specific clutch. Looks like a piece is broke But hard to tell.
Yea i think so. I cant separete the two sleves so its hard to know. I will have to wait until i found a good used one. Thank you for replying

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yes that is the spring. You tried to pull the spring cover off? Some secondary clutches/driven clutches are not under spring tension.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Oh, and index/mark the position of each part you remove so upon reassembly the pieces are matched because I believe the clutch is balanced. Use a magic marker. Some parts have alignment arrows.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes that is the spring. You tried to pull the spring cover off? Some secondary clutches/driven clutches are not under spring tension.
I already remove the cover and marked it but the spring didnt come out and i dont see anymore bolts or anything like that. I will post screenshots of the service manual later. I coundnt understand it well

·
Registered
159 Posts
Cant see everything in the pics but it is good they show you how to build a board to hold the clutch fixed half while you rotate the movable half. I think the rotation then allows the ramp cap to move enough that you can remove the split ring. where are you located, maybe some is close by who will give you a hand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts