Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 Prairie 400. When on gravel, dirt, pavement, etc it drives fine. When it gets into anything that will cause wheel slip (ie: mud) the trans slips. It actually makes a sound that sounds like your shifting out of gear and back. It does it under very little throttle but as soon as it get back onto mostly solid ground it is fine. It happens in both High and Low gear and i dont know if it happens in reverse.

Anybody have any idea or direction to go with fixing this?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Not exactly but my 400 oem primary clutch faces were wavy after about 3000 miles and I replaced the clutch.

How many miles?
Ever replaced the primary or secondary clutch?
Ever rebuilt either clutch, and/or replaced the springs?
Ever replaced the drive belt?

How long have you owned this machine and did it used to work correctly?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive only owned it for a couple weeks however it was previously owned by my aunt and uncle since new. I dont know if they have ever replaced the belt or had anything else done done to it. I have a belt for it but havent gotten to change it yet. I dont know how many miles are on it since there isnt a gauge for it. I do know that it was used alot to push their stock car around at races when it had issues and was used to ride around their property.

With it only happening under wheel slip it doesnt seem like it would be a belt clutch problem. It has no issues at all on dirt even when dogging it pretty hard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so i have figured out what it was. It turns out it was the linkage where it attaches to the forward / reverse selector shaft on top of the transmission. It had worked its way loose and had started to turn inside the clamp causing it to slip out of gear under load. After some trial and error to get it set it hasn't happened since but i dont know if it is set correctly.

The next question to this is would anyone know how to correctly set the positioning of the linkages on the 97 Prairie? I cant compare it to my 99 because the 97 has 2 linkages, 1 for forward / neutral / reverse and the other for forward high / low. The 99 only has 1 linkage that does it all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts