Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know steps needed to replace the starter on 1998 Prairie 400? I'm sometimes mechanically challenged and would like to do repair correctly the first time. Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
what is it doing.Reason I ask is I thought it was my starter but instead it was the oneway clutch and idle limiter it would just spin but not turn it over.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is the starter because when I hit the button to start I just get a click, and if i tap the starter with something the starter will turn over and start the engine. It used to only happen once in a while, but now it is doing it a lot. I've got a new starter, but didnt want to tear any more apart than I have to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I figured it out. Remove the gas tank cover. Then remove the gas tank and you can easily get to the starter. Two bolts and one wire and the starter is ready to pull out and replace with a new one. Thanks for the interest.

·
Registered
1 Posts
KVF 400 Starter removal

I am struggling to remove my starter. I took out the two bolts in the back and expect the starter to slide out but it won't. I beat on it using a wooden block about as hard as i thought i should but it seems to be stuck???

I started to take apart the housing/pull start but just know it shouldn't be that hard.

I would be grateful for any advice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The starter has an "O" ring on it and is just stuck. Try moving the starter sideways a little. That usually helps along with the tap with a mallot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts