Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to this forum and new to kawasaki bikes in general but I recently picked up this 99’ kvf 300 that supposedly was having carb trouble. When i got it home i noticed the crank case is full of fuel/ oil. Ive since replaced the carb/ changed oil and the bike is running flawlessly but still filling the base with fuel. Has anyone ran into this problem before? Im thinking its the petcock but unsure. Thanks guys

·
Registered
30 Posts
Some one else had the same problem a couple of weeks back this was my reply to them .
"
Hi , looks like you have a carb problem , fuel is getting past the needle valve either getting stuck thro wear or a minute piece of grit holding it open allowing fuel to run down the inlet tract into the motor if you do not shut the fuel off it will drain the tank . [ this happens a lot with lawn tractor B+S motors ] . simple fix [ subject to carb access ] is replace needle valve and or seat + fuel filter and switch fuel off when not using the machine . "

A weak needle valve and seat will also allow drain down overnight if the tank is full , as i commented earlier B+S lawn tractor motors had this problem if the manufacturer fitted a large tank up under the dash [ Westwood and Countax in the UK used to fit 1/12 gallon tanks as standard ..!!] , Briggs do a couple of inline taps to cure this if yours is defective or not fitted .

Worst scenario is you get a blown crankcase ..very rare but i have seen one , if you dont fix it the diluted oil will ruin the bottom end = big bucks ..!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the reply, the bike has a new carb which has a float bowl overflow vent in it (which gas is not coming out of) float is free, i don’t understand how the cylinder is filling with fuel

·
Super Moderator
12,576 Posts
Nothing to do with the petcock; it's the carb. Either the float level is too high, the needle and seat are leaking, or the fuel enrichener (choke) is staying open. The carb floods and dumps fuel directly into the engine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts