Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time reader, first time poster...

2000 Prairie 300 2wd sat up for couple of months. Checked oil, drained gas tank, gave fresh gas, BUT has dead battery... jumped it off w/ my pick-up...think that is where I messed up.

I can get it to start but runs rough like its flooding, runs like a champ on half choke BUT the exhaust manifold gets RED HOT (yes glowing orange/red hot)
I think I have ruined the regulator/rectifier... (maybe more) same thing happened on a 97 bayou... it ended up being the r/r

My ultimate question is WHERE THE HECK IS THE regulator/rectifier on a 2000 prairie??? That is where I wish to start throwing parts at it.

sorry for the long read, just FYI in case anyone has any suggestions...

·
Registered
849 Posts
If you have not cleaned the carb, do it. (i'd do it again if you alrdy did) There's probably gunk in there. Exhaust glowing red hot is a sign of a VERY lean engine. Don't run the engine if you can avoid it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the answer.
The exhaust was only glowing red when the choke was on. Once it was warmed up, (so to speak) it would idle, but would bog down and try to die when I tried to rev it up.

I still cant locate the regulator... If someone finds it, send me a pic. The one on my 05 prairie 360 is on the frame opposite the muffler.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Take the carb off, Open, Clean it. Then you can start looking at other things. If it sat for a couple of months, it's the absolute first thing to do if the quad isn't running right. I'm pretty sure you will find jelly in there.

All your symptoms point to that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I will do that before I try anything else, will keep you posted... but, whenever I know I'm gonna let them sit, I shut off the petcock and run the quad till it runs out of fuel, and I use Sta-bil in the fuel...

thanks again

·
Registered
10 Posts
Same problem with Prairie 360

I will do that before I try anything else, will keep you posted... but, whenever I know I'm gonna let them sit, I shut off the petcock and run the quad till it runs out of fuel, and I use Sta-bil in the fuel...

Been having the same problem with my 04 Prairie 360. I've replaced the cdi box, coil, and rebuilt the carb. The only thing left is the rectifier, did that fix yours?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you find it??
I have rectifier problem (keeps wasting main fuse) but cant find rectifier -not where manual shows it.
My photos attached as starting to think I dont have a kvf300b after all :unsure::unsure::unsure:
IMG_20210111_184513.jpg IMG_20210111_184531.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts