Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I've just got out of the Marines after 6 years and am now back to playing with my toy. It's a 2000 prairie 400 4x4 with about 800mi and maybe 200hrs(sat alot while I was gone). All I have done to it is put on a new K&N Air filter and some new rubber(Mudlites) Other than that she is bone stock. Here are my questions for you guys:

1- I'm tired of getting stuck! Is there some type of locker on the market to make this "true 4wd"? This hole 1 wheel per side spinning is getting old.

2- Since I put the new tires on my speed has suffered greatly it seems(much more rugged tread I suppose) Is there anything I can do to get some more umph out of her? To add, I'm not looking to do any internal work. Really looking for more "bolt ons" than anything.

I'm very mechanically inclined(Cars are more my thing than ATV's) And can pretty much do anything myself I just don't know a damn thing about ATVs. Any help would be great!

Jordan

·
Premium Member
23,817 Posts
first, thanks for your service

second, have no idea on what you asked

That's not a lot of motor to turn meaty tires

sell it and get you something bigger:)

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
what he said..... trade it in or sell it... you should have no problems selling a bike with that few of miles on it... bump up to a 650/700 prairie or a brute force and you wont have to worry about any power issues... and they all come with lockers on them..

·
Super Moderator
12,616 Posts
The 400 is a great machine and has very good power in it's class. I'm surprised that you saw much of a decrease in power, unless you went with 28" or 30" Mudlights. There is no locker available. The only bolt-on I'm aware of is a Supertrapp slip-on muffler.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I would love to have one of those 400 Prairies. They were top of the line, right before the 650 Prairie came out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm not really interested in selling it. I'm not BIG into offroading or anything, just something to do occasionally. The only real problem I have with the machine is the lack of a locking diff.

Thanks alot guys!

·
Registered
787 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, I took my locker cable off. I never used my locker, even when I mudded.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, maybe down the road I'll have to go out and pick up something bigger.... I just don't want to sell my machine since it is practically new. What years did they make a 650/700 prairie? I'm not sure I've seen one.

Jordan

·
Super Moderator
12,616 Posts
Yea, maybe down the road I'll have to go out and pick up something bigger.... I just don't want to sell my machine since it is practically new. What years did they make a 650/700 prairie? I'm not sure I've seen one.

Jordan
The 650 began in the 2002 model year; it hit the market in approximately May 2001. There are many, many out there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts