Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no experience with atv mechanics at all but last week I decided to try my luck fixing my dads 4wheeler, a 2001 KVF300 automatic 4x4.

I started by draining all the old fuel out of it, cleaning the carburetor, and changing the oil and oil filter. I also put a new battery in it.

I've never cleaned a carburetor before and messed up putting it back together a couple times, but I ended up getting the thing to run.

The bike idles fine but when I press the throttle in neutral or drive it will bog/cut out, almost like it's not getting any fuel. It will rev up a little the cut out and continue to do that for about a minute or so then it will start to run like new. I'll be able to start and stop and drive it just fine but if i shut the bike off and let it sit for a bit it will do the same thing again. I didn't try much in reverse but one time it backfired pretty bad.

I have read other threads similar to this one and a lot say change the battery but I just put a new battery in it (I called the dealer around noon and the charged the battery until I picked it up a 6, it wasn't charged before then, so maybe it's just not charged enough).

So I'm wondering if you guys have any ideas what it might be and how I might fix it?

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
12,468 Posts
Did it run well before it sat around? If so, the problem is in the carb, either not assembled properly, or probably still dirty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did it run well before it sat around? If so, the problem is in the carb, either not assembled properly, or probably still dirty.
It ran fine before yeah. If it was a problem with the carb wouldn't it happen all the time and not just when i start it up after it sits for a 5 or so minutes.

I took it out Saturday and it ran fine all day, it's just when I stopped for more than 5 minutes when i started it back up it would do it, but only for a minute or so.

·
Registered
12,468 Posts
Have you tried a new plug?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts