Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2001 mule in very good condition. 1400 hours on it. It starts with choke and if you keep feathering throttle it runs. Otherwise it idles down and dies. Prev owner just had $1900 worth of work done at dealership, to include new carb, fuel pump, battery, fuel filter, spark plugs and lots of normal maint (oil change, gear oil change, air filters, gaskets, etc.). Never had a mule before, can anybody recommend where to start? Even when engine running in neutral, cant increase rpms with gas pedal. odd. Bought to use in ag grove, in utilitarian mode, not weekend playing. I'm fairly handy with engines and mechanical things.... I've done searches, didn't come up with much. Any help appreciated. Tx. Randy

·
Registered
406 Posts
Is the gas pedal not increasing rpms a cable/linkage problem? Check that the throttle plate opens/moves with the gas pedal.
Do you need to use the choke to keep it running? Or only for starting? If you need the choke for it to stay running, that sounds like a air leak (leaking gasket(s)) between carb and heads causing it to run lean. Spray carb cleaner while it is running at the gasket areas, carb to intake, intake to heads. If it changes the way it runs replace that/those gaskets.
The other thing to check is make sure it is running on both cylinders. Check the plugs to see if both are firing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the gas pedal not increasing rpms a cable/linkage problem? Check that the throttle plate opens/moves with the gas pedal.
Do you need to use the choke to keep it running? Or only for starting? If you need the choke for it to stay running, that sounds like a air leak (leaking gasket(s)) between carb and heads causing it to run lean. Spray carb cleaner while it is running at the gasket areas, carb to intake, intake to heads. If it changes the way it runs replace that/those gaskets.
The other thing to check is make sure it is running on both cylinders. Check the plugs to see if both are firing.
No gas pedal linkage issue or choke. Yes choke helps to keep running. Was talking to my son (a fireman in another city) and he recommended to run some sea foam or star tron enzyme through it to clean out jets. Anybody know if this would hurt anything? It "hunts" too, rpm goes up and down a little. Won't stay idling long enough to jump out and spray carb cleaner to see if gasket problem or check plugs firing also....

·
Registered
Kawasaki Mule 550, KAF-300-C5
170 Posts
Surging is always a lean running condition. most of the time caused by a blockage in the idle circuit of the carburetor. the pilot air screws may need adjusted,

get a service manual for it, it should show how to properly adjust them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You said new carb...................how long ago? That's why I suspected gaskets causing the lean condition.
All the work, including a new carb, cleaned out fuel tank, new fuel pump, etc. was on 5/14/21 just the other day. Work was done in Chandler, Az and I live in central Calif.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Surging is always a lean running condition. most of the time caused by a blockage in the idle circuit of the carburetor. the pilot air screws may need adjusted,

get a service manual for it, it should show how to properly adjust them.
Yes, need service manual, will buy one. Good idea, thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, need service manual, will buy one. Good idea, thanks.
OK, as there are so many service manuals out there, any recommendations on which one to buy or company to go with? Looking for 2001 Mule 3000 manual.... Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I had idle issues it was the plugs. One was not firing at idle but die at higher rpm.
We pulled the plugs today, looked good, firing as they should. We actually got it to idle a couple of times, then it went back to sugring and would die if we didn't keep goosing the throttle. took it out for a spin, runs good at speed, just won't idle. Dumped some StarTron fluid into the tank along with fresh gas, maybe that will clean out the primary idle circuit. Its like Sea Foam, stablizes, gets rid of water, etc. My son swears by it, I also put some in my Honda mower as it is also surging (hunting) at idle but, doesn't die. Runs fine at wot mowing though. We'll see what happens with both.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would pull carb and clean. Add seafoam later if you want but if the jet is clogged seafoam may not clear it. If running with throttlevand no idle I would think clogged idle jet. Mai. Jet is open and works from 1/4 throttle up

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would pull carb and clean. Add seafoam later if you want but if the jet is clogged seafoam may not clear it. If running with throttlevand no idle I would think clogged idle jet. Mai. Jet is open and works from 1/4 throttle up
While I wait for my repair manual (paper copy) to arrive, where exactly is the idle jet located on the carb. Can I just take the idle screw out and blow some air in there at maybe 30 psi? This Mule lived its life in Chandler AZ, maybe 1200 ft elev, and now its at about 400 ft elev. Could it possibly need a larger idle jet as there is more dense air at lower elev??

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you remove the carb, you would turn it upside down. Gas will come out so make sure it goes into a container. You will be looking at the fuel bowl. Unscrew the screws and the bowl will come off. You will now see two jets. The smaller one is the idle jet. I remove them and look through. You shoukd see light. If not spray with air or carb cleaner. If really dirty sometime I take a strain of wire or breadtie to open up, becareful not to make hole bigger. What also matters is on the side you should see holes usually four then two. These holes also need to be clean or open. These atomize the fuel. I also spray carb or air into the hole tge jet was removed to make sure it is clean. Watch your eyes if you use cleaner. Dont ask how i know. If you want you can pm as needed. Also make sure you have a clean workspace.

Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you remove the carb, you would turn it upside down. Gas will come out so make sure it goes into a container. You will be looking at the fuel bowl. Unscrew the screws and the bowl will come off. You will now see two jets. The smaller one is the idle jet. I remove them and look through. You shoukd see light. If not spray with air or carb cleaner. If really dirty sometime I take a strain of wire or breadtie to open up, becareful not to make hole bigger. What also matters is on the side you should see holes usually four then two. These holes also need to be clean or open. These atomize the fuel. I also spray carb or air into the hole tge jet was removed to make sure it is clean. Watch your eyes if you use cleaner. Dont ask how i know. If you want you can pm as needed. Also make sure you have a clean workspace.

Good luck.
Vince, thank you!!! We took the carb off and apart, both primary jets plugged, could not see through them. Used a fine wire to "unplug" and then could see thru them. Put back together, runs GREAT!! Thank you all for your comments, pointed us in the right direction........ Randy

·
Registered
Kawasaki Mule 550, KAF-300-C5
170 Posts
i would be replacing the fuel line, if it has not already. a new carb should not come with crap plugged up, it had to come from somewhere. overtime rubber fuel hose deteriorates internally and all the particles can form into a small ball of rubber in a jet or passage way, overtime.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i would be replacing the fuel line, if it has not already. a new carb should not come with crap plugged up, it had to come from somewhere. overtime rubber fuel hose deteriorates internally and all the particles can form into a small ball of rubber in a jet or passage way, overtime.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Unfortunately, it ran fine for a couple of hours then went back to plugged primaries mode. Sure was sweet while it ran correctly. It had a new fuel filter so it had to have crap in the line between the fuel filter and the carb when we put it back together. This time looking for the small holes on the sides of the jets (wasn't aware of them when we took the carb off last time) and also replacing fuel lines and filter, even thought they were supposedly replaced just a couple of weeks ago at the Kawasaki dealer.....

·
Registered
406 Posts
If buying new fuel line, I would buy Gates barricade hose. You only need the low pressure version. They also make a high pressure version for EFI

1 - 20 of 25 Posts