Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am tring to find out how to replace the rea brakes on my Prairie.I can,t get the drum off and really not have the experience with ATV.I am also wondering as to if this is suppose to have any kind of fluid in the hub or not as When I did remove the plastic cover ,it did have very little black liquid drip from it.
Reasdon for taken it apart is that the brakes are hanging up when applied by hand or foot.I have to force the arm back to release them..I am hoping that its just a matter of putting the right fluid back in the brake drum if that is so.Thanks an hope to here from someone.
I am also hoping that I am posting in the right plkace.:eek:
Ps you can pm me if needed.Thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,553 Posts
There's no fluid in the drum; it must be water dripping out.
I think you have to get the big nut off the axle in order to completely disassemble it. Once you get it apart, you can remove that actuator shaft and polish it. It should work okay after that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rear Brakes

I took everything apart till i got to the metal drum withthe holes in it.I could not pry it off the shoes.I started to break the edges of the backing plate and stopped.I did put it all back after I sprayed a can of brake cleaner in the holes to clean out most of the black gunk and crap.I have to litterly use visegrips to work the brake lever wher the cables hook to the drum.Its still tight.I sprayed PB Blaster at it in hopes to get it to work in the cam shaft of the brakes.I was not sure if there is a way to loosen the brakes any more than using the cam.If so it still was tight on the drum.:eek:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts