Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just inherited a 2002 Prairie 650. It had been sitting for a few years, but ran great and always has. Yesterday I was riding it around the yard doing yard work, starting and stopping frequently. Then today I parked it in the driveway to adjust the rear brake (and broke the hand brake cable, bummer) and when I went to start it again I got nothing. It cranks just fine, but no spark. I checked voltage at the coil and it's only showing 2.5 volts, which seems low to me. I'm not super familiar with these ignition systems, hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. Could the broken brake cable be related, or is it just a coincidence? TIA.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've been doing some research and testing over the last few days. I'm inclined to think the brake cable is just a coincidence, the brake switch still works and I've seen nothing in the ignition wiring diagrams that involves brakes anyways. I think I can rule out coils, they ohm out fine and it's not likely they both died at once. The pickup coil also tests out good, as does the vehicle down sensor, so those are both out as well. There's no corrosion or looseness on any of the connectors. I found that the gray wire from the ignition switch to the CDI had 12 volts, which I've read is supposed to be around 6v, meaning the resistor in the key switch is bad. I temporarily put a resistor in-line to bring the voltage back down to 6v, but no change. Cranks, no spark. I talked to my grandpa and he said they possibly reversed the polarity of the battery getting it out of the barn, which may be what cooked the resistor. That and the fact that I'm not seeing proper voltage at the coils makes me think the CDI might be bad. Does that sound plausible? Are there any tests I can do to confirm that the CDI is bad?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've come across a few other threads describing similar issues but none with any solutions, so I'm updating this thread for completeness: I was able to borrow a CDI from a friend, plugged it in and it fired right up. Looks like a Dynatek is in my future :cool:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts