Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i've got a 2003 kfx 400 that i just rebuilt. new bearings in the bottom end, namura 440 big bore. all of this has zero hours on it because i can't get the bike to spark. the main (15 or so connector harness) is brand new from kawasaki. when i took it to the dealer to have this no spark issue diagnosed they said that the new harness i ordered fixed it and it was now get spark. went to pick it up and i saw the spark tester flicker a couple of times and that was it, no spark at all after that. the technician said it sounded like it wasn't turning over quick enough for the stator to generate a spark. i'm at a loss and really just want this project to be over and done with. any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm going to assume that your bike gets power and that you have checked the battery and connections (both to make sure they are all fully plugged in and that theres no Dirt or whatever in the connections). Tried changing the plug (because they are like 5$ for a 3 pack and they die [on me at least] out of nowhere.)
Things I would check to make sure they are working after you have checked the above I would look at the Ignition coil, CDI and Regulator.
Any of those things could stop your bike from having a spark but still having power and turning over. Because the technician said it sounds like its not turning over fast enough I would look up videos of a working bike turning over and see if its the same speed as yours because if your starter motors on its way out or something like that it would cause the same thing, but it sounds like an electrical problem to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the plug is brand new, i give it power with a jump box because the battery split so i don't have a battery for it yet, i've swapped the regulator and CDI with used units off of running bikes. and compared to a working bike mine does crank over slower. other than a bad starter what could be causing it to crank over slow? keeping in mind that i rebuilt the motor entirely.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well that behavior is exactly what my starter does when it's running on just bairly enough juice to turn on the headlights so from that I would say your most likely not getting enough current to your starter or your starter motors going.
Because it tries to turn over at all says the circuit is not broken it's just damaged so be aware it, whatever it is might not be all the way broken and just frayed or have an improper connection.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is there any way to test the starter to see if it's actually producing enough torque to turn the motor over quick enough? like i said the wiring harness is brand new from the dealer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes the wiring harness is new but the connections where the harness plugs into various pieces would not be, so the harness has male connections check the female ends of those connections. I would check fuses if you have any on your bike.

As for checking the motor it's self I don't personally know of any way to do that besides process of elimination.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having this same problem I have got new everything and still no spark It is literally driving me crazy I'm about to use it for target practice it anyone could help please!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts