Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

2003 KFX 400 knocking on one side

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Bprather89 
#1 ·
My KFX 400 has ran good for so long. But, now there is a knock on the right side of the motor(while sitting on machine), up near the fan. You put your hand up to it and you can feel it. Then once I take my hand to the other side you can't feel it there. You can also hear it, its somewhat loud. It's just on that one side. It drives fine and there is no loss of power. I'm just concerned of what it could possibly be. You guys on here are great to help a youngster like me and I look forward to your replys! Thanks so much!

#2 ·
Knock or loud tick?
Could very well be your timing (cam) chain slapping around in there. You need to remove your automatic cam chain tensioner and see if it is out of adjustment. It is spring loaded and as the chain wears (stretches) it "clicks" out keeping tension on the chain guide. There are notches on the tensioner. When you take it out do not push in on the plunger. Pull out on it to see how many more "clicks" (notches) are left on it.
Buy a manual if you do not have one and this will make more sense.

#5 ·
I am sure that is what it could be, yes.
Is it a knock or a loud tick or rattle?
By the fan you mean, under the valve/head cover but towards the front of it by the fan....right?
I'd pull the tensioner and pull the cover. Take off the front plastics, tank and whatever hoses are in the way and it 3 hex head bolts to open that thing up for a look inside.
It's a good think if it is in fact coming from the top and not the bottom.........that's for sure.

And yes the chain, and cams are right up on top. It is an overhead cam engine.

#7 ·
Same problem

I have a loud ticking noise , no loss of power and just started happening the last 15 min of riding. It's deff on right side and sound is coming from above the exhaust. Oil is clean and nothing else looks bad. If timing chain . What parts would I need and 1-10 how hard is it. I've rebuilt a Harley motor before and was about a 9. Help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.