Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to figure out the problem now for a couple months...It runs good in low gear- but in high gear it only goes roughly the same top speed as it does in low gear (maybe 15 or 20 mph). Here's the run down...

It's a 2003 prairie 360 4x4. When I bought it, it was smoking bad so got a good deal on it knowing I would have to rebuild top end, adjusted valves, cleaned carb, new battery and new belt- it started right up and purred like a kitten with no smoke or odd noises.

When driving it- has plenty of tourque in low gear- I can feel it disengage from low gear and engage in high when using the shift ****. It takes off ok but tops off roughly the same speed as it does in low gear, maybe runs a tad rough at the top because it sounds like the RPM's are up where they should be- just no speed (once again maybe 20 mph). It does Rev up great in neutral. It is flashing a code and I have tried reseting it- but it is the code meaning bad LED indicator- so it's not in limp mode. I inspected the clutches- pulled them both off cleaned put back on but no change. I still think the clutches is where the problem lays. But yet it acts normal in low gear so I'm unsure. Extremely frustrated trying to figure this out- Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
weights are egged out severely and probably cutting into the underside of the spider.

in LOW you can rev higher and less load, so the primary shifts easier. high gear, it'll bind up and proably run similar RPM as it does in low.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If this is the case what would need replaced on the clutch? Just the weights? Or would this have caused further damage?

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
You'd have to look at it to determine what it needs. I can refurb the OEM weights for 35.00, new ones are about 140.00

if the weights are bad, Count on the following to be bad too. weight pins, spider, faceplat bushing, lower sheave bushing, spider pads, possibly sheaves from grooving

I can rebuild it as well. new units are about 600.00 I can fix it all for less than 1/2 that cost pending what it needs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Installed rebuilt clutch but still did not fix the issue. When I have the clutch cover off and rev it up in neutral- it seems like the belt is not reaching the outside on the drive clutch. I figured a rebuilt clutch would fix this- I tried a new belt and switched in a different secondary clutch too but same result. Any Ideas??? I'm beyond stumped.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts