Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone help me with my 4wheeler... I stopped driving about 2 years ago because I got bad gas in it. My friend cleaned out the carbs a couple months ago now. When I try starting it it will turn over but won’t crank. I’ve changed the spark plugs and still not wanting to crank. Anymore suggestions on what I should try next?

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
2 years is a long time to sit. The battery might have enough power to get it to turn over but not start. What's the standing voltage on the battery?

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
We just bought a new battery and put it on there today. Still nothing
That don't mean nothing. Lots of stores sell new batteries that have sat on a shelf for too long.
Check it. If it's not at 12.6 or above, it won't start these machines very well.
And are you sure your buddy knows how to clean the carbs properly?

·
Registered
12,471 Posts
Fuel (getting into the combustion chamber).
Spark (plug actually firing when installed).
Compression.
You need all three.
Pour a little gas down the carbs and see if it fires.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That don't mean nothing. Lots of stores sell new batteries that have sat on a shelf for too long.
Check it. If it's not at 12.6 or above, it won't start these machines very well.
And are you sure your buddy knows how to clean the carbs properly?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We finally pulled the carb out and it doesn’t look like it’s been cleaned and there was no line hooked to that one spot in the upper right above where the cable goes. It looks like there use to be a hose on there at one point because It has a clean spot but I’m not sure what was supposed to be connected there if anything at all.

·
Registered
195 Posts
That’s not for a hose. There is a dust cover that slips over the cable assembly, and that part that you’re referring to is where it screws down. Look into that hole and you’ll see that it’s threaded.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah we were looking at it after I posted it and seen that. Now we are working on putting it all back together.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure where these hoses go. I’m sure one of the connects into the cover but not sure which one

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does it matter which goes to which since on one end of the hose it closed and another is open?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Not really I guess. My 2 hoses don’t have the one way valve on them anymore. One is a vent for the carb and the other vents the airbox.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay thank you. Gonna hook them back up and empty out the fuel tank as well as check the lines. Hopefully it will run good then

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Does it matter which goes to which since on one end of the hose it closed and another is open?
IT DOES MATTER! The one with the plug must go on the inside of the air filter. I've seen dust get sucked right into the intakes when reversed.
This is one of those "what was Kawie thinking" designs. Goof up a plug and hose and ruin your top end. They knew it was a problem because they completely changed the design on the Brute Force.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So the one with the closed end goes to the air box and the open one goes to the vent for the carb?

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
So the one with the closed end goes to the air box and the open one goes to the vent for the carb?
Look at the bottom of the airbox. You will see 2 holes. One inside where the filter sits, and one outside. They both drain the airbox, but the one inside needs the plug.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts