Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. 2 weeks ago I went riding in the snow for about an hour. I came back in, let my 2004 KFX 400 sit for about an hour and half and then went out to ride again. When I turned the key, nothing lit up.

I assumed the battery could have been dead because of the cold weather, but it was fine. I checked the fuses, my fuse was blown. All i had done was turn it off earlier, I do not understand how or why it blew.

I replaced the fuse and everything lit back up again when i turned the key. I figured my problem was solved. No. This time, when i pushed the start button, nothing happened at all, no clicking, no trying to turn over ,no dimming of light, no nothing. I didnt understand this. I waited till morning to tinker with it. Same result.

Its not the starter, I can hot start it and it cranks right over. I bought a used solenoid that worked, replaced it, still will not start. I took the starter button assembly apart and cleaned it all out, put it back together and still. Nothing when i push the start button.

I have my quad all torn apart right now and I have no idea at this point. I cleaned most of the terminals. I only saw one ground that I know off and it looked fine. If anyone has any ideas im willing to try anything at this point.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It does not have a kill switch. Just the Off/Run switch on the stock assembly. the fuse to the solenoid blew. But i replaced it, and hot started it(touched the starter wire to the postive) and it starts up, and i have been riding it like that for a while and it hasent blown the fuse again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, so it turns out that the accesories wire(black and yellow if anyone wants to know for future reference) was completely cut in half about 10 in down from the solenoid plug on the harness. We examined some of the other wires and they were also not in great shape. So we did a quick splice to test it and sure enough, pushed the button and it started right up. So tommorow were cuttin back some more of the harness casing to clean out some of the dirt and and patch up the wires and then shrink wrap the wires. Should be easy fix now. Learned a decent amount about the electrical through this all so if anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts