Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out a affordable & fast way to get fuel to the carbs.It cut off & the fuel pump isnt running.I checked & it has power to the pump.I thought about an external pump but didnt know if it would pull fuel through the tank unit without modding... Thank you for ANY help....

·
Registered
728 Posts
Sounds like you need a new fuel pump. I've got a pump sitting at my house.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read some stuff on here about using an external low pressure pump.I bought 1 today & plummed it up & so far so good.I would like to put it back factory but wasn't able to get a new 1 today.We had some ice on the roads & wanted to play.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My quad sat for a while and my pump went out as well. put one of the mr. gasket pumps from autozone. It will fire right up and run good but only with the choke wide open. As I start to decrease the throttle i have to keep it running with the thrtottle. If i turn the throttle off all together it wont run regardless. any idea? keep in mind it did sit for about 2.5 yrs

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have a fuel pump... If you want it i'll let it go for $70

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
If you need to clean the carbs you won't need a kit. Just disassemble and maybe soak them awhile then scrub/blow out with compressed air

·
Registered
728 Posts
If it set for 2.5 years with fuel in the bowls. You can bet that they are gunked.

·
Registered
69 Posts
choke

so that could make my carbs only want to run with the choke most of the way open? If they are just o rrings I could start cleaning tonight. Any special does and donts? Ive alreay replaced the screws where you take the jets out wtih hex bolts. What should I concntrate on cleaning?

·
Registered
69 Posts
and btw, do i need a low pressure regulator with the low pressure mr gasket fuel pump? I was possibly thinking that when I put that new pump on I could be pumping too much fuel and that y it is only running at a high rpm

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
This is an easy and cheap fix.

here's how to do it.

remove the stock pump. take a pliers and snap off the regulator on top of the fuel pump. it sits directly on top of it and feeds the rubber line.

next get a longer rubber line and attatch it to the pump.

now. see if the pump works. usually the regulator goes bad.

if it doesn't. add a longer line that hangs down to the bottom of the tank and remove the stock pump.

bolt back up the pump housing.

next get a MR gasket 42S fuel pump. they are about 50.00

install it in line. be sure to use the 1 way check valve that is included in the pump to prevent drain back when you shut it off.

you can tap right into the fuel pump +12v power wires that are right there. leave the ground and the signal wire there, to supply the low fuel warning light

there is no need for a pressure regulator.

I've used this setup on many NOS bikes I have set up and it supplys fuel to handle 100 rwhp easily. and it's cheap.

John

·
Registered
728 Posts
This is an easy and cheap fix.

here's how to do it.

remove the stock pump. take a pliers and snap off the regulator on top of the fuel pump. it sits directly on top of it and feeds the rubber line.

next get a longer rubber line and attatch it to the pump.

now. see if the pump works. usually the regulator goes bad.

if it doesn't. add a longer line that hangs down to the bottom of the tank and remove the stock pump.

bolt back up the pump housing.

next get a MR gasket 42S fuel pump. they are about 50.00

install it in line. be sure to use the 1 way check valve that is included in the pump to prevent drain back when you shut it off.

you can tap right into the fuel pump +12v power wires that are right there. leave the ground and the signal wire there, to supply the low fuel warning light

there is no need for a pressure regulator.

I've used this setup on many NOS bikes I have set up and it supplys fuel to handle 100 rwhp easily. and it's cheap.

John
Sweet info, thanks john!

·
Premium Member
11,525 Posts
I know, old topic...but I have a question. Does anyone know if the fuel psi changes when you remove the regulator John is talking about? One more question...is the fuel tank vent hose fuel resistant? :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just picked up a cherry 04' 700
Old lady owned it and it has sat.
Noticeable bog/sputter 3/4/wot when pulling down the road.
A few thoughts, old fuel, blocked main jet (good at low-end and bad at wot) and/or old pump or fuel filter (does this have a fuel filter?).
Any help is appreciated,
Dan 801-879-2559

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know old thread. I couldn't find an answer on here. Where is the best place to mount the Mr. G 42 external fuel pump? Everything looks pretty tight in there and I want to keep it away from the exhaust pipes/mufflers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
9 Participants
jsperline
Kawasaki ATV Forum
KawieRiders.com is the largest Kawasaki ATV owner's forum with information for the Kawasaki KFX700, Brute Force, Prairie, Bayou, Mojave, Lakota and older model Kawasaki ATV's!
Full Forum Listing