Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up this 2004 Prairie, it will start up but have to keep choke on to idle even after warm up, it runs out great but when I come to a stop, it will cut off, then have to choke it to start up again. I removed gas and added new, changed oil, filter and plug. Just curious where I should start. After reading previous threads, was thinking carb rebuild but also thinking Valves?

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
would do both, problem is likely crap in the jets(better to clean the stock than buy a rebuild kit) but you need to check and set the valves as maintenance because no one ever does

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply, went ahead and took off carb and cleaning it up, was dirty and looks as though it has never been off. Will put back on tomorrow. Never have done valves before but looking up some videos for reference. Any specs you can recommend for clearance, cant seem to find any for the 360.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
never got one for my 360, most things were the same as my 650, father inlaw did. seems like they had ones you could download on here and if not its a good investment

·
Registered
157 Posts
Similar symptoms like mine when exhaust valve was too tight.

Intake- 0.13mm
Exhaust- 0.20mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for replies. I am going to look at valves next. So I put carb all back together, it acted the same and I know I cleaned up carb really well. Have to keep choke on for a while and it revs high and low but crazy thing, after it gets really warm, it will idle perfect with no choke.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
if you can take the choke off after its warm, thats normal operation, the 360 just takes forever compared to other bikes to warm up, because the carb settings and jets are set very lean.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
okay, well that is crazy, my first kawasaki 4 wheeler. I am guessing it was like over ten or 15 minutes on this 80 degree day. I didnt drive it to make sure it wouldnt cut off because it has been raining all day. But it did idle perfect after that amount of time, I was thinking maybe the valves expand and open up?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Mine cold starts and idles without choke right after the valve adjustments

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
depends where you are at, texas is hot and thats better fora lean quad, but colder areas need more fuel. you can adjust the fuel mix for max rpm. also i used to have to adjust the black knob quite a bit during the winter, once it got warmed up back down. driving it slow works better than idling it too

·
Registered
157 Posts
depends where you are at, texas is hot and thats better fora lean quad, but colder areas need more fuel. you can adjust the fuel mix for max rpm. also i used to have to adjust the black knob quite a bit during the winter, once it got warmed up back down. driving it slow works better than idling it too

Good point.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bingo, just finished adjusting valves and it started right up and seems to be idling great without choke.The valves were out of spec, very tight.
I did notice while idling there is a little hiccup about every minute but it doesn't cut off. not sure what that may be, any ideas,but overall very happy that i did that myself. Dealer wanted $240 to adjust valves.
Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
have never taken my machines back to the stealer, i get a manual and learn. they dont care if your stuck somewhere

not sure on the hickup, maybe some maintenance stuff, or bad gas, the smaller cab engines really dont run well on gas that has sat

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
carb

went back and you said you replaced that, sometimes when the battery is low or has corrosion on the terminals or fuse box it wont run right either

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was able to ride it for a while today and have to say it is running perfect, have to believe it was the valves being out of specs, too tight.
also it seemed to be a lot more responsive and smoother. This site is awesome. Now on to fixing up a little Polaris sportsman 90 I picked up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts