Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 prairie 700, it sat with the fuel drained out of the carbs and tank for four years in storage. Pulled it out put fuel in it and a new battery. As soon as it started up the fuel started to pour all over the motor and ran like hell. I tore the carbs down pain in the butt. Now it will only run when you turn the fuel off and if you turn the fuel on it dies, or if you can keep it running its coming out of the black equalizer pipe between the carbs that comes up threw the air cleaner and back out. Any help I would sure appreciate it, I really cant afford to take it to the shop yet. Dont know if anyone is wondering the bike has 118 hours and 666 miles on it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
drain...........

Did you close the carb drain screws before you put in the fuel and started it?

If so.........Sounds like the float valves are not shutting off once the carb bowls fill (one or both) with fuel...........

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you close the carb drain screws before you put in the fuel and started it?

If so.........Sounds like the float valves are not shutting off once the carb bowls fill (one or both) with fuel...........
Im fairly mechanical, but I wrote everything down the exact way it came out, So I do not have a clue why its doing what it is. The other thing I should have mentioned is it does pour fuel out when its not running just when the engine is running is when its dumping it out of the equalizer line on top of the carbs that goes into the air box.

·
Registered
99 Posts
like camo joe said sounds like a float is hanging up could be a piece of dirt in needle and seat .it will be something simple.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea I was thinking the same exact thing when I turned the key on and looked at the 666 I didnt dawn on me till it started to pour fuel everywhere. The carbs are clean as a whistle. Like I said before it does not over flow when the bike is not running just when you start it. Fuel pump is on when the key is on, but once you fire it off it just starts to pour out. I know its got to be something simple but im getting tired of it. Fixing to just buy a working set off ebay and say the hell with it. If I can just get the odometer past 666 might help who knows. Just may have to hook the 850 polaris up to it and drag it down the road once lol.

·
Super Moderator
12,655 Posts
Get new needle and seats, soak the carbs in carb cleaner for at least overnight. Even though they look clean there is still some gummed up gas somewhere.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Clean means clean!

The fuel in the air box line is from the engine vacuum pulling the excess fuel from the carbs.................the carbs only source of fuel is from the fuel line directly from the fuel pump..........the fuel level in the carbs is regulated by the float operating the valve.......opening it and closing it maintaining a correct level of fuel in the carbs...........if the valve(s) are not shutting off the carb(s) will flood with fuel..........

If its been setting for 4 years its for sure there is (green) gunk and oxidation build up in the bowl, on jets and needles etc............
Therefore.......NovaKaw650 is correct.........the carbs have to be cleaned and repaired as needed in order for them to function correctly.

If you purchase other used carbs they may need this same service as what you have needs. So I would suggest taking your time and cleaning and repairing your carbs as needed .....getting you some good experience and breaking the curse of the carbs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts