Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to me 2004 Prairie 700, ran great Saturday pulling a trailer and clearing some brush. On Sunday it was low on power (seems like half power) and it and pops and backfires through the carbs and exhaust, even when it's up to temp is it runs like poo. It does starts right up and idle perfectly with no obvious knocks or valve noise. The only difference between Saturday and Sunday is the outside temp, Saturday was 55 degrees, Sunday was 30.

Little history, I bought it non running and within the last 20 miles did an oil change, new plugs and a new battery. I'm leaning towards a valve adjustment just because it's prolly due but if there is something else I could be missing kick me in the shin. Just thinking it's wierd that it runs like a champion for 20 miles and all the sudden pukes. Don't wanna wait 6 months for it to warm up to know if it's weather related and don't really want to freeze my beans off checking things that aren't even in the ballpark.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may have figured it out. Checked the belt light, it's illuminated, which from what read in the manual means it's probably in limp mode. Not sure if I should pull the belt cover and check the switch or just try a reset. Probably should replace the belt if I'm pulling the cover. At any rate we got an early 8" snowfall today I've got a ton of other stuff to get ready for winter before I can play with my toys.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I have the air box on. I did check the filter and it could use a cleaning but it went from running great to running poorly so I don't think the filter is the culprit.

·
Registered
733 Posts
If the belt light is on then its in limp mode. Gonna need a clutch puller to change the belt, it can be done with out pulling the primary but its a pain. Get a Kawasaki or epi puller not a ebay special.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did twist the key today, 1,103 hours, might have just came on because of the 100hr mark. Weather permitting I'll get to it this weekend and will post what I find. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did the belt light reset and she runs great again! Didn't replace the belt because the belt switch wasn't tripped. Seemed almost low on power, but that's probably just my imagination. Hopefully get some riding in if the weather turns around, not much fun riding in 30 degree weather.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I'm back. Still not fixed, the popping and sputtering is long gone but she definitely has a lack of power from what it was before it went I to limp mode. I used to be able to crack the throttle and rip the tires loose on gravel, now not much. Both cylinders are running, bit I'm not so sure that all the popping through the carbs didn't jack something up. I'm going to go through the manual but thought I'd hit up the site and see if there is anyone with operating experience that might know where to start.

·
Registered
359 Posts
How long has it been since you changed your belt? They will not go into limp mode if it is just the belt reminder service light. If it went into limp mode there is a reason, and most of the time it is your belt. I would have it checked and possibly replace it if it is not recently been done. Does it still sound like it revs up and idols well like it should have full power? If so and it just feels like you’re not going very fast then it is probably your belt

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had checked it about 20hrs ago. It idles fine but when I throttle it up it has a very slow rev and acceleration, like I pulled the 700 and put in a 350. I'll get a belt ordered and eliminate it from the equation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fixed. Belt didn't do it, front cylinder plug was fouled, would run at idle but cut out with throttle. Cleaned plug and it's a machine again!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts