Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 2005 Mule 3010 4x4 I recently purchased (used) is cold natured and gears grind when shifting from neutral to drive or reverse. After driving for a while and warming up, it seems to get better.

However, the grinding of gears worries me that it may wear out the gears. Any thoughts on how to correct this issue?

·
Super Moderator
5,695 Posts
Just talked to a mechanic and he thinks it a clutch bearing going out.
You would be hard-pressed to find a bearing anywhere in the clutch system,..drive or driven (bushings don't count). Sound like yours is just a case of too little deflection. Check it as per the manual. Must be above 23mm and not over 27mm. Better get a new mechanic.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your message. I can't argue with you because you obviously know more than I do about how the clutch system works. I watched your video on the CVT system and how it works. I may have misunderstood what the mechanic told me, but I do believe the problem is in the clutch. I also watched a number of videos on YouTube today about working on the clutch system. Since I don't have the tools or skills to work on the clutch system myself, I'm going to give the mechanic a try. I'll keep you updated, after I take it in on Oct. 5th. Thanks again for your response!

·
Super Moderator
5,695 Posts
If he starts talking about bad muffler bearings...run. :sneaky:

You know if you had a shop manual..which everyone should have for their machines, you would be able to understand how and what is happening...and when. Otherwise you are a mark. That's someone to be taken advantage of. Get a manual...know your machine. If only wives came with manuals.....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use an online manual and read about the clutch deflection. I understand what you're saying ...... the other major problem is finding a mechanic that will work on a Kawasaki Mule older that 2016 in the Dallas area.

I had one Kawasaki Dealer work on the front end noise for a month till they gave up. Then my son actually fixed it by replacing the Spider (item:49050-1075) and Bearing-Comp (Item: 92138-1052) on the Drive Shaft-Propeller. I don't think they ever crawled under it to look for the problem.

The mechanic I'm going to now has been highly recommended.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The problem is in the transmission. There is a "sacrificial gear" in here that has it's nubs worn off because of too high idle while trying to shift into fwd or rev.
There are no synchronizers in this transmission to aid in gear changes. Must be stopped and at a very low idle.
It has a Kawasaki part number of: 13139-1072: Shifter-Comp, FR/RR.
This is a common problem when idle is too high and shift cable position adjustment may be a little off.
This requires removal of the trans and disassembly. Not for the faint of heart but quite doo-able.
:cool:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Took my mule to a mechanic and he solved the problem and several others.
Replaced the clutch belt, rebuilt the secondary clutch and rebuilt the carburetor.
It now runs like new, and shifts without grinding.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If he starts talking about bad muffler bearings...run. :sneaky:

You know if you had a shop manual..which everyone should have for their machines, you would be able to understand how and what is happening...and when. Otherwise you are a mark. That's someone to be taken advantage of. Get a manual...know your machine. If only wives came with manuals.....
I took my mule to a mechanic and he solved the problem and several others.
Replaced the clutch belt, rebuilt the secondary clutch and rebuilt the carburetor.
It now runs like new, and shifts without grinding. Has much more power!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You would be hard-pressed to find a bearing anywhere in the clutch system,..drive or driven (bushings don't count). Sound like yours is just a case of too little deflection. Check it as per the manual. Must be above 23mm and not over 27mm. Better get a new mechanic.
Took my mule to a mechanic and he solved the problem and several others.
It now runs like new, and shifts without grinding.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts