Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,I have a 2006 brute force 650. the starter will not even click. when the button is pushed it is dead silent. the pull rope will start the bike. battery is good also. the run swith is on. all fuses are intact too. any ideas? if i have missed anything ask me. the starter/ start button just quit after a ride the other day. worked fine before then nothing. please help.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Be sure to check for damaged wires

·
Registered
711 Posts
These machines won't crank if it is in gear unless the brake is applied.I had the neutral switch in the tranny stick on mine so the it thought is was in gear all of the time so you always had to apply the brake to crank it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought of that too. I tried it but still no start. it's as if the button is broken or if the starter is just dead...maybe no power..... but it pull starts... very frustrating.:mad:

·
Premium Member
22,490 Posts
Does the starter relay click when the button is pushed. You won't hear it sitting on the quad.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
VALVES?????? You need to make sure that you have 12 volts going to the starter when you push the start button. If you dont, then you need to start trying to find where you are losing the power in the starter system. Fuses, wires, starter button??? If you have a test light or better yet a multimeter, it shouldnt be too difficult to track down the problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Check for voltage at the relay under the seat. You should have power going in with the button pushed. It should audibly click, when you push the button. If you have power to the relay with the button pushed the relay is bad. If you have no power there move to the switch. Now power to the switch check the neutral safety switch, then the wires from the battery. It is probably either the neutral safety or the starter relay. The relay would still click if you needed a valve adjustment it just would not turn the machine over

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same problem with my 05' Bruteforce. All it needed was a valve adjustment. However with mine it did turn over when I hit the electric start it just would not start. There are 4 valves in total that I needed to be adjusted. There are lots of threads on this website that will guide you through it if you wish to do it yourself. Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
there is no audible click when the button is pushed. all fuses are good. I have the housing apart which holds the start button. there is power to the light switch but not to the start button. button depressed or not... no power or any clicking is heard at the relay.:confused:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Check for voltage at the relay under the seat. You should have power going in with the button pushed. It should audibly click, when you push the button. If you have power to the relay with the button pushed the relay is bad. If you have no power there move to the switch. Now power to the switch check the neutral safety switch, then the wires from the battery. It is probably either the neutral safety or the starter relay. The relay would still click if you needed a valve adjustment it just would not turn the machine over
got a pic of the relay?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
okay... I found the relay... it has the 30 amp fuse and a red plug on it.. also has 2 wires that will jump the starter if they are crossed.. right? i crossed the wires with a screwdriver.. i know... not good... but the starter started the bike. i am guessing the relay is bad... can anyone confirm this for me?... any questions please ask. besides how much does a relay cost?:stupid:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well... my father in law has another 650 just like this one and i switched the relay....it is not a relay problem. I think it might be at the switch or the wiring in between. anyone have any suggestions?:(

·
Registered
26 Posts
So there should be a small wire going into the relay that is where the power from the switch comes from to switch the relay on. Obviously there is no power to it so it could be that wire. I would first check the connection for the neutral safety and see if that is working and then move to the ignition switch. I have a Brute, but I do not know the bike in and out like the other guys here, I am taking what I know of Cars and bringing it over, so I do not know wire colors or exact location, but with a little common sense and a 5$ volt meter from Harbor freight hopefully you can get this thing figured out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So there should be a small wire going into the relay that is where the power from the switch comes from to switch the relay on. Obviously there is no power to it so it could be that wire. I would first check the connection for the neutral safety and see if that is working and then move to the ignition switch. I have a Brute, but I do not know the bike in and out like the other guys here, I am taking what I know of Cars and bringing it over, so I do not know wire colors or exact location, but with a little common sense and a 5$ volt meter from Harbor freight hopefully you can get this thing figured out.
where is the neutral safety switch and what does it look like?.. i don't have any manuals.. might be a good investment.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Check page 407 on this manual. There is not much on the switch though.
http://www.atvpt.com/Kawasaki_750_Brute_Force_Manual/bruteforceshopmanual.pdf
Does your green neutral light come on. If you tried to start it with the brake pulled I am leaning away from this as even if it thought it was in drive it would start with the brake pulled. Check the wiring diagram and start testing the ignition switch for power in and out

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Check page 407 on this manual. There is not much on the switch though.
http://www.atvpt.com/Kawasaki_750_Brute_Force_Manual/bruteforceshopmanual.pdf
Does your green neutral light come on. If you tried to start it with the brake pulled I am leaning away from this as even if it thought it was in drive it would start with the brake pulled. Check the wiring diagram and start testing the ignition switch for power in and out
:mad:green light is on and i have tried starting it with all the brakes pulled. I am thinking it is in the wiring from the relay to the start button or it is the button itself. like i said .. if you cross the relay with a screw driver it fires right up.. but the button is dead as a hammer. no power from the wires at the start button. pulled it all apart and tested it with a multi meter... nothing.

·
Premium Member
22,490 Posts
Check the light brown wire going to the multifunction switch. It powers everything at the left handlebar.

·
Premium Member
22,490 Posts
okay... I found the relay... it has the 30 amp fuse and a red plug on it.. also has 2 wires that will jump the starter if they are crossed.. right? i crossed the wires with a screwdriver.. i know... not good... but the starter started the bike. i am guessing the relay is bad... can anyone confirm this for me?... any questions please ask. besides how much does a relay cost?:stupid:
That is not the starter relay.

there is no audible click when the button is pushed. all fuses are good. I have the housing apart which holds the start button. there is power to the light switch but not to the start button. button depressed or not... no power or any clicking is heard at the relay.:confused:
Ignore my above post then.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts